V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to gethe grops thoughts on dealer demo bikes. Are they a good value discount notwithstanding.

Does one need to worry that some asshole took the demo out to see how long he could ride the rev limiter:eek: .

Just looking for some input here.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
I riden lots of demo bikes just for kicks. I wasn't particularly mean to them but I wasn't nice either. I guess it depends on your opinion of the "proper" break-in. Personaly, I'd stay away.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
I would be more worried about the engine having been lugged down too much. But in any case, it is still under warranty.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I always say, Rental cars are the fastest cars you'll ever drive...I would image this would hold true to motorcylces as well.

Personally, I'd stay away.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
Cdouthitt said:
I always say, Rental cars are the fastest cars you'll ever drive...I would image this would hold true to motorcylces as well.

Personally, I'd stay away.
lol, rentals and demos also leave more tire smoke. :hystria:

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
Fatb0y said:
If they get treated anything like rental cars then I would have to say NO!!
Reminds me of business trip to Ohio in 1996. the guy I was with was renting the car. Lady behind counter asked if he wanted the extra insurance. He told her, "Lady, I want that kind of insurance where all I have to do is bring you back the keys and tell you which snowbank it's burning in."

·
Banned
139 Posts
I bought a 05' FXST demo last year. It had only 6 miles on it. I got it for 13500 out the door. I might have just got lucky but there is no problem with the bike. I would stay away from one with more miles though

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
I bought a rental Road King with 12,000 miles on it. Still had 3 months of factory warranty left. Bike now has 98,000 miles on it and I have had only one serious problem which was at 95,000 miles. A cam bearing went south.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
csoday said:
I would be more worried about the engine having been lugged down too much. But in any case, it is still under warranty.
Be careful;

Just had a big TV news story about a guy in the MoCo hometown that bought a dealer demo.

Turns out the warranty clock started when the bike was placed in service on the floor as a demo, not when he took delivery.

Guess who took the screwing? Dealer said they tried with the MoCo, who blew the guy off until they were the top story on the nine 'o cloock news!

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
eprenzlow said:
Be careful;

Just had a big TV news story about a guy in the MoCo hometown that bought a dealer demo.

Turns out the warranty clock started when the bike was placed in service on the floor as a demo, not when he took delivery.

Guess who took the screwing? Dealer said they tried with the MoCo, who blew the guy off until they were the top story on the nine 'o cloock news!
That is very true. My bike went into Warranty couuntdown when the Rental Division of the dealer put the bike in service. When I bought it it had 3 months left so I purchased a 4 year extended warranty. It paid for itself over the 4 years.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Unome said:
Reminds me of business trip to Ohio in 1996. the guy I was with was renting the car. Lady behind counter asked if he wanted the extra insurance. He told her, "Lady, I want that kind of insurance where all I have to do is bring you back the keys and tell you which snowbank it's burning in."
:laugh: :roflback: :hystria: :roflback: :laugh: :roflback: :hystria: :laugh:

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
RustyG said:
...so I purchased a 4 year extended warranty. It paid for itself over the 4 years.
Which is why I'd either buy used or new, but not demoed (or rented). Who wants to actually USE a warranty? Glad you got it, sure, but that's down time, and time when your out, the the bike doesn't work right.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Bot said:
Which is why I'd either buy used or new, but not demoed (or rented). Who wants to actually USE a warranty? Glad you got it, sure, but that's down time, and time when your out, the the bike doesn't work right.
In 100,000 miles it was down for about 5 days due to warranty work. Not bad I would say.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
In 1994, I bought a Ford Thunderbird that was a former rental. It had 20,000 miles and was fully loaded. I got it for the same price as the entry level 6 banger. I put another 80,000 miles on it then sold it to a colleague. Not a single problem.

·
Addicted to American Iron
460 Posts
I would......I 'm going to put new cylinders bored, pistons, heads ported, cams, ignition system, chrome, good tires, wheels, brakes, bearings, controls, sheet metal, seat, exhaust, and paint on it anyway. Sound familar? Warranty....whats that?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts