V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a matte black modular harley helmet couple months ago from my local dealer High Country Harley Davidson in Frederick CO.Helmet is made by HJC anyway the visor fogs up so bad you cant see anything before I even make it of my driveway and while wearing a half face mask so im not even breathing on the visor.Only worn it twice to work and back like 15 mins each way.Long story short they offered to order me a scorpion at a discount.Hum 220 for the harley and another 200 for the scorpion so like 400 for a helmet no thanks.I know its there right not to take it back but I said nice and calm Ill never buy anything here again after spending prob $17 to $18 thousand dollars there in all.I even called MOCO to bitch but they said theres nothing they could do as far as an independant dealer and returns on apperal and such and I understand 100% but took the statement anyway.But the dealer gave me a couple of good tips though only wear it in the summer or give it to the passenger they dont need to see anything.So I guess the old saying is true hitem once and hitem hard.Just thinks its sad to loose a customer over a pos $200.00 helmet.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I understand your frustration, but the dealers by me Harley or otherwise all have a no return policy on helmets. The one has a couple of signs stating their policy, and they ask and make certain you have a good fit before you pay for it. As for the fogging I cannot see any full face helmet not fogging up in the cold except a snowmobile helmet with the nose exhaust diverter vents.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scorpion helmets dont thats why I mentioned them in the post they put a coating on most of the shields and they dont fog.My 10 year old one still doesnt i have actually had water (condensation) running down the inside of the shield but it still didnt fog up.Live and learn I guess

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
The shields should be coated; but try rain-x or a fog preventer like Cat Crap. You're stuck with the helmet - might as well do what you can to use it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah I thought of that but didnt want to put anything on it in case of returning but now I will try or sell it on Flea bay.LOL

·
Registered
71 Posts
Scorpion helmets dont thats why I mentioned them in the post they put a coating on most of the shields and they dont fog.My 10 year old one still doesnt i have actually had water (condensation) running down the inside of the shield but it still didnt fog up.Live and learn I guess

I was not aware of that, wow thats some good stuff. I meant no disrespect, I reread my post and it may have sounded that way, sorry.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
We used to use a shampoo/water mix on hockey helmet visors years ago.Not sure if that applies today on a bike visor. I also like autoworkers answer too a lot.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Yeah, I am with Autoworker on this one, but if I was the dealer I would try to help you with the shield, I am sure someone at the dealer must have experience with a fogging solution:coffee:

·
Registered
513 Posts
As stated above.
Try some Rain-X anti fog on the inside of the lens and rain-X waterproof on the outside of the lens/shield.

That's what I use on my riding goggles and even sunglasses. It seems to work IF you do it right and follow the directions. Available in nearly any auto parts store.

another $10 to see if you can salvage the helmet.
If not, use it on your car it really makes the water bead up and roll off nice on the windshield.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah think Ill try the rain-X.HJC does offer what they call an anti-fog visor for some models including that one but its like a tear off that goes on the inside of the visor.3 things I question about trying to use that.1 whats the chances of getting it on nice and flush with no wrinkles per say.2 wonder how it looks looking through it like distortion and 3 whats gonna happen to the visor if it starts to peel off then you pull it off is the inside of the visor gonna be all jacked up.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see rain-x makes some for plastics will give that a try and they also have some no fog stuff which looks like its for inside of glass and or inside the home may grab that as well.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah I usually do but harley didnt have anything on there website atleast at the time i bought it.Like I said in an earlier post Scorpion helmets dont fog because of the special coating they put on the inside of their shields at least they put it on the clear one that comes with the helmet and also the smoke or dark smoke which I have for mine.I think some of other visors like mirror or other colored one dont have it.Have to check their website Scorpionusa.com

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Yeah I usually do but harley didnt have anything on there website atleast at the time i bought it.Like I said in an earlier post Scorpion helmets dont fog because of the special coating they put on the inside of their shields at least they put it on the clear one that comes with the helmet and also the smoke or dark smoke which I have for mine.I think some of other visors like mirror or other colored one dont have it.Have to check their website Scorpionusa.com

I would try to contact them to see if they would be willing to replace or re treat the shield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UPDATE:So I bought some of the rain-x for plastic and it seems to be the ticket.I also bought rain-x no fog but it says for glass and mirrors but it doesnt say not for plastics.So I applied the plastics on the inside and outside and then the no fog on the inside.So far seems to be the ticket I can make it fog breathing right on the shield but it dissapates super quick so thats awesome so will have to see how long it last but I know using the regular on windshields it last quite a while.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts