V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In conjunction to fixing my oil fouling issue, the dealer offered to do the following, claiming near 100 HP (over 100 if I had the heads ported)...

84-Up EVO 175lbs Prf (I believe these are valve springs, but couldn't find the part number they gave - 11-9252)
TC Cylinder Gasket Kit
Cylinder Stud kit
1550 Conversion Kit
Rocker Housing Gaskets
Cam Service Gaskets
Exhaust Gaskets
SE Rocker Supports
Perfect Fit Pushrods
SE TC88 HC 1550 Pistons
SE 251 Cams
Race Tuner Kit
Spark Plugs
Oil Filter
Oil

They are saying that half the labor would be covered by warranty to fix the oil fouling, so they quoted me $480 for the remaining labor. Their parts total was $1656.09, for a total w/labor of $2333.10 w/tax. They discounted the parts, but I found I could get some of them at an additional discount, but it only came out to a little over $100 less if I bought them through Surdyke or someone else with similar pricing. But, I would save the tax on the parts also if I mail ordered, but the shipping would come into it. They wanted an additional $300 for porting if I requested it. Something also tells me the rocker housing gaskets and exhaust gaskets would be warranty items.

Anyway, I was told the HD issue Stage II wasn't the best kit to go with and what they were putting together (list above) would be a better value.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
jrehm said:
In conjunction to fixing my oil fouling issue, the dealer offered to do the following, claiming near 100 HP (over 100 if I had the heads ported)...

84-Up EVO 175lbs Prf (I believe these are valve springs, but couldn't find the part number they gave - 11-9252)
TC Cylinder Gasket Kit
Cylinder Stud kit
1550 Conversion Kit
Rocker Housing Gaskets
Cam Service Gaskets
Exhaust Gaskets
SE Rocker Supports
Perfect Fit Pushrods
SE TC88 HC 1550 Pistons
SE 251 Cams
Race Tuner Kit
Spark Plugs
Oil Filter
Oil

They are saying that half the labor would be covered by warranty to fix the oil fouling, so they quoted me $480 for the remaining labor. Their parts total was $1656.09, for a total w/labor of $2333.10 w/tax. They discounted the parts, but I found I could get some of them at an additional discount, but it only came out to a little over $100 less if I bought them through Surdyke or someone else with similar pricing. But, I would save the tax on the parts also if I mail ordered, but the shipping would come into it. They wanted an additional $300 for porting if I requested it. Something also tells me the rocker housing gaskets and exhaust gaskets would be warranty items.

Anyway, I was told the HD issue Stage II wasn't the best kit to go with and what they were putting together (list above) would be a better value.

Any thoughts?
It would be worth your time and money to contact Dewey Jelen...

DeweysPegs.com

He could do your heads and hook you up with a Andrews gear drive cam and get you close or over the 100/100 mark. Better parts and less money. Plus you could toss those chain driven cams.

·
Premium Member
6,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just may end up having them fix the fouling and leave it at that until the warranty expires. They told me that if I wanted to start nit-picking they wouldn't do the work other than the warranty work because they have to put their name on the motor and won't do it unless it's their way doing what they've found to work. They will also warranty the work and parts.

This stuff gives me a headache.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
jrehm said:
I just may end up having them fix the fouling and leave it at that until the warranty expires. They told me that if I wanted to start nit-picking they wouldn't do the work other than the warranty work because they have to put their name on the motor and won't do it unless it's their way doing what they've found to work. They will also warranty the work and parts.

This stuff gives me a headache.
"their way of doing and what they found to WORK " Ask them to please just do the warranty repairs. you dont need the rocker supports or the studs..you do need head work and rollers with that cam..... these guys are just plain scary.
Now..with no headwork..(no rocker supports or studs) ..just 1550 , flat tops,stock springs and pushrods..I could see the 204 cams as a decent all SE build.... would they agree on that??
The only gaskets you should pay for are the cam install kit.

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
jrehm said:

TC Cylinder Gasket Kit
Cylinder Stud kit
1550 Conversion Kit
Rocker Housing Gaskets
Cam Service Gaskets
Exhaust Gaskets
SE Rocker Supports
Perfect Fit Pushrods
SE TC88 HC 1550 Pistons
SE 251 Cams
Race Tuner Kit
Spark Plugs
Oil Filter
Oil

Any thoughts?
The guys here on the forum gave you some good advice...#1 no need for the extra streingth rocker supports till you get into 550 lbs valve spring pressures or .630 or more lift cams, #2 if there is no head work or milling of the heads why would they want you to buy perfect fit push rods, #3 roller rockers are needed for a cam lift of .550 and up, the 251 cam is .579 lift. #4 head work will yeild you much more power than just higher compression pistons. The 251 requires more compression but that should be done with flat top pistons and milling the heads. #5 stock plugs are fine...no need for $10.00 or more plugs. There are better choices for cams than the 251, although the 251 works good for a S/E cam it, like all S/E cams, comes on late in the rpm band.
I think these guys are learning with your Dollar....give them some time to see what really works.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
I think these guys just saved you a ton of $$$. Just get the original problem fixed. Then start doing some research here on V twin to see what you might want to do. I dont know what you have done to your bike so far but you can make some nice gains on your own without paying the dealerman. What are the mods on your bike to date ? What would you like it to do ? What is your riding style ? Highway ? Back Roads ? Long trips ? Short Trip ? Two up / Single ? Depending on how you ride 100hp may be good but 100ft pounds of tq might be better. -2$en#e-

·
Premium Member
6,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How about just going with the Stage I cylinders and pistons for now and maybe coming around later with an indy or a more knowledgeable dealer for other work? I'm not looking to go racing here and even now it has enough grunt to get me around fairly well. I'm just looking for a little more go without getting crazy about it.

I just figured I might was well play since they were taking it apart already, but don't want to through money into something that isn't right are 'almost' right. I don't mind spending the cash, but I do want to milk it for everything it's worth.

·
Premium Member
6,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hotshotfxdl said:
I dont know what you have done to your bike so far but you can make some nice gains on your own without paying the dealerman. What are the mods on your bike to date ? What would you like it to do ? What is your riding style ? Highway ? Back Roads ? Long trips ? Short Trip ? Two up / Single ? Depending on how you ride 100hp may be good but 100ft pounds of tq might be better. -2$en#e-
Has the Stage I air filter kit, Cobra pipes and DFO currently. It's an all around commuter and I ride it everywhere I go except in the woods. Do some two up riding, but not much. I don't hotrod it too much, but now and then get frisky with it.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Considering you're riding a super glide and it's lighter than a bagger, the build I suggested is a perfect fit for all riding styles and even two-up. If you had a bagger then it might be suggested to go with a little more aggressive build. But on my Wide Glide the build is a perfect fit for all types of riding and I feel it will last longer and be more dependable than a stocker.

And if you're anywere close to Florida, HDMD88 can really make that build produce a perfect power curve that will have you hanging on to the bars.

Good luck.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Just have them do the jugs and Quick Install pushrods while they've got it down. Then you won't have to pull the heads when you do the gear drive cams.
My dealer did the whole shebang to my specs when they pulled those POS heads off for me because of the oil usage. Saved a lot on labor, but they're good people. Doc trained the tech, too. :D
And I'd be careful about "some guy's" porting. If you ARE going to do head work, though, it kind of puts you in a no-win situation, since they'd have to come off again anyway...
Where the heck are you?

·
Premium Member
6,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've heard there's a guy somewhere near me, but haven't tracked him down yet and don't know what kind of rep he has.

I would figure there'd be more good wrenches around here considering this is the land of OCC. :sofa:

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Do yourself a favor and don't even have them do anything find another dealer to do the work I have the same oil problem and my dealer said all labor is free except cam install and they also told me to wait for winter special and get an extra 20% off parts and all gaskets should be covered anyway unless it's a different type.

·
semi-retired
1,844 Posts
Rob Roadking said:
Would that dealer be Moroney's by any chance? They gave me a list for a build for my bike but not sure about everything they listed.
my thought exactly!

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Rob Roadking said:
Would that dealer be Moroney's by any chance? They gave me a list for a build for my bike but not sure about everything they listed.
Dealer name should have been the first tip off> MORON>...........eys

·
Premium Member
6,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rob Roadking said:
As a matter of fact...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was in the same boat, except this was my second fix with the valve guide seals. The first time Annapolis HD "fixed" the problem I was using 1qt every 500 miles. I took the bike to another area dealer and they installed geared cams (charged me 4hrs extra, I supplied the parts), bored my cylinders ($150), installed Wiseco flat tops ($279) and decked, 5 angle valve job and cleaned up my heads ($200). The bike is running great and after 500 miles on the break-in...not using any oil.

Some dealers are just better than others!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Moroney's over in Newburgh? Thay have a guy in the back who does really good work, i think his name is george? He appernently builds their engines for their race team and does a great job of it. Not sure of the service tech there. Can alway call up to Woodstock HD, honest folk up there.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts