V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Kuryakin low profile tail light with 5 consecutive dead LED's. The gasket let some water and dirt in after a rainy ride and seems to have fouled the PCB or LED's. My multimeter shows no continuity between three of the dead ones.

Has anyone ever tried to fix this, or is it perhaps a common occurrance with LED tail lights?

·
Pimp Daddy
386 Posts
It is a common occurrance with THOSE taillights. The MoCo didn't seal up the taillight housing area very well so water is prone to get in there and Kuryakyn didn't seal their taillights very well so a little water goes a long way to damage those boards. I've gone through three before I realized it was a waste of time and money to keep going with them. I've heard other people talking about different brands but I don't remember them very well so maybe someone else can help. And there really isn't any way to fix them unless you know someone who can replace diodes on a printed circuit card...

·
Banned
871 Posts
sr1032 said:
It is a common occurrance with THOSE taillights. The MoCo didn't seal up the taillight housing area very well so water is prone to get in there and Kuryakyn didn't seal their taillights very well so a little water goes a long way to damage those boards. I've gone through three before I realized it was a waste of time and money to keep going with them. I've heard other people talking about different brands but I don't remember them very well so maybe someone else can help. And there really isn't any way to fix them unless you know someone who can replace diodes on a printed circuit card...
I coat the PCB with a thin layer of clear silicon sealant. Keeps the moisture off the board. Works great! -2$en#e-

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
I have the same light and had the same (water) problem. Had just put it on before a trip to Myrtle Beach. We got stuck in some rain and while cleaning up the bike the next day I noticed the lite was about 1/4 full of water. I pulled it off and drained it. Also noticed the fender has a nice hole in it where the wires come thru. Since Kuryakin was there I stopped by and talked to a salesman about the water problem. He said it just drain it out and let it dry. If any of the lites went out to send it back and they'd take care of it. From what I've heard of their customer service, I believe him.
Try giving them a call.
Oh, and filling the fender hole up with silicon stopped the water cold.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I called Kuryakyn...

...and tech support told me that there is a three year warrantee on the LEDs. This weekend I'll take it to the dealer I bought it from and hope that that they swap it out for a new one.

NOTE to anyone else with this light: As Toddm mentioned, the light is not sealed well. I am going to run a bead of silicone all they way around the board to finish the job. While I'm at it, I'll seal up the holes that HD left open as 05 Ultra suggests.

Thanks all for the comments.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts