V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently running a Power Commander on my RGlide and I am tired of messing with it. I have some pinging and just don't want to go back to the dyno. I want to get a closed loop system and be done with this.

I have been reading about the Zippers ThunderMax and the Daytona Twin Tec TCFI. Based on your experiences, which one is the better product and why?

How do you start a poll?

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To the Top ........

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I was thinking about it myself. The DTT sounds like a freaking nightmare to get setup correctly. The Thundermax sounds like a good system but I heard over on the cvoharley site that some people are having a lot of trouble with their bikes pinging. It got to the point this summer where Zippers wouldn't even take phone calls about it. I'm not sure if they figured something out or not.

I'm having a pinging issue myself and I think I'm going to a SERT.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that suck, I wanted to get one to get rid of pinging on my 96.

·
not sober all the time
5,581 Posts
I went with DTT

VtwinJaxFL said:
I am currently running a Power Commander on my RGlide and I am tired of messing with it. I have some pinging and just don't want to go back to the dyno. I want to get a closed loop system and be done with this.

I have been reading about the Zippers ThunderMax and the Daytona Twin Tec TCFI. Based on your experiences, which one is the better product and why?

How do you start a poll?
I cannot comment on the TM but I installed the DTT unit and had no problems getting it going. I followed the instructions and used a few tips from this forum. It started on the first attempt. I've been tweaking a little here and there but the scoot was running better than ever from the start.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info'
anyone have a list of the differences between the two?

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,630 Posts
VtwinJaxFL said:

How do you start a poll?
I have a DTT but there is now another choice. The Head Quarters ProTuner http://www.head-quarters-usa.com/protune.html Make sure you read down to the bottom.

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
I've installed a Thundermax on a friends bike, and it went very smooth and he has no pinging problems at all.

I have the DTT system installed on my bike, and the install went good with some help from PhilM, and now that I've adjusted the timing charts I have no pinging at all.

Any system will ping if the timing adjustments are not correct.......they do not auto-tune the timing, just the AFR.

Out of the 2 systems................I would go with the DTT system as the software seems a bit easier to work with. You can get either one online for right around $700 +/-.

Steve

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sounds like alot of heresay

thatoldbike said:
I was thinking about it myself. The DTT sounds like a freaking nightmare to get setup correctly. The Thundermax sounds like a good system but I heard over on the cvoharley site that some people are having a lot of trouble with their bikes pinging. It got to the point this summer where Zippers wouldn't even take phone calls about it. I'm not sure if they figured something out or not.

I'm having a pinging issue myself and I think I'm going to a SERT.
That sounds like alot of hearsay ... I picked up the TMAX last winter and now have over 10K on the bike. Had a little decel pop. Assumed it was just my dual Sampsons (which are a wide open, free flowing exhaust set up).

Met the guys at Sturgis (may have been when folks couldn't get hold of anyone?) found them to be very knowledgable on the product and tuning in general. They loaded the latest version of software and now almost all decel is gone.

Never had a problem with pinging; even in the heat of the summer or when riding the altitudes around the Ozarks or Black Hills. The bike pulls like bull.

I couldn't say enough good things about this product. Even recommended it to a buddy who just couldn't get a pcommander to tune in right even after two turners took a crack at her. We installed in his driveway and took off for a river town for dinner. At the first stop light he said "Now THIS is how a bike should run!".

You really can't go wrong with this product.

Reactions: The_Snowman

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
I have been running the dtt system since this spring. I have put at least 3500 miles on it since then. The auto tune dose not adjust timing you can do that in the software setup.The tuning is straight forward you do not need to be a rocket scientist. I have tried the power commander , the race tuner, and the terminal velocity. The dtt lives up to the promice. My fuel economy has inproved by 2-3 mpg and power has also increased. Ocasionaly on a 1st to 2nd shift the front wheel lifts up with out me trying. I think that is not bad for a ultra with a mild 95 build.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Had a TM with A/T on a 07 Wide Glide, It was a great tuner. Never had a problem. Its a true tuner. Traded the bike in took the TM off. Got to wait till Zippers comes out with the software for DBW so I can put it on my 08 FLHT.
If you have low restriction exaust yer gonna have some poppin.
Also put the TM on my buddy's bike, he took another company's tuner off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts