V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this web link in another thread. But I think this should have wide exposure for those planning on Daytona in March.

http://www.daytonachamber.com/vending/mayor_letter.html

3 rules aimed at making Daytona Bike Week better......for those who want the money but not those spending. Especially if you contribute to city in new fines.

Just a shame.

Skip

·
Registered
934 Posts
Seems to me to be reasonable. Basically, keep the flashing to a minimum, don't showboat like an @ss, and put your drink in a paper bag and you won't have to worry.

Laws have been on the books for years probably and now they just want to enforce them, or at least threaten to.

darrell

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have been to Daytona bike week. I had a good time and drank
a few beers myself. Remember, you can have a good time and
act civilized and not like a A.....Hole and will not get introuble with
the police. "My saying is, If you want respect you have to earn it.""

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
It all comes down to how it is enforced. There was a lot of leway in that memo.
I for one am tired of being raped at the events for a room, food, and drink. If you are concerned and ride to the events, spend your time touring the country and blow off these tourist trap events. It is the ride not the distination.
On the other hand, if this is your cup of tea, be quit, stay clothed, do not drink in public, and have a good time.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guess I am puzzled then why they passed these and posted the letter on the official web site as NEW laws. Yes there is a difference in being an @-- and watching officers cite/ticket a young lady for roller blading with very small top (covering - not her). I also have had a few beers sitting across from "Froggies" in the lot where the beer girls are out front and bands sits back a little . I don't know the name of the vendor. But part of the enjoyment was watching the other bike cruise by while sipping a beer. Sounds like No More, even the paper bag trick may get you a hefty payment for ticket to take home as your souvenir.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
What's happening with Daytona is an image issue. Spring break, black collage reunion and bike week get a lot of attention by the media here. We all know the media looks for the bad incidents to gain your attention. Many of the locals are looking at(in their eyes) making Daytona a family oriented vacation spot as it was before Disney came to Orlando.

Not to offend anyone but any incident during Black Collage reunion gets top billing on the TV. And there has been a lot of felony activity including murder during that week. excluding the vender's and business owners the local government and many citizens feel these events are effecting the image that Daytona wants to promote. In short it's the business owners that want us there, Most of the locals would rather us go elsewhere.

I do know we all need to treat the locals with respect and thank them at every chance.

Just my opinion and the buzz I hear by living in the area...

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
LittleBear said:
It all comes down to how it is enforced. There was a lot of leway in that memo.
I for one am tired of being raped at the events for a room, food, and drink. If you are concerned and ride to the events, spend your time touring the country and blow off these tourist trap events. It is the ride not the distination.
On the other hand, if this is your cup of tea, be quit, stay clothed, do not drink in public, and have a good time.
I'm with you...I grew up in Fla and abandoned bike week back in the early 80's...

·
Registered
490 Posts
I live here in Volusia County and can assure you that it's situation normal. They always have not condoned nudity and only enforce the noise law when it's out of hand.(Or if you piss off a LEO by revving your engine next to him). The part about "drinking within 100 ft of A1A" will mainly affect spring break and Black College Reunion. I remember about 13 years ago I was sitting in Froggy's during Bike Week and saw these 3 dudes with Press credentials hanging on their jackets,talking a girl out of her top. They promissed here a pic in a "Major" Biker magazine. As soon as she popped the pups out they arrested her. Put the cuffs on and hauled her away. An hour later she was back asking for donations to help her with the $250 fine-Al

·
We're still here ya know
689 Posts
That all sounds reasonable to me. Don't be an a-hole and don't show off your a-hole. Sounds like they are giving everyone fair warning, and perhaps making it a little easier to enforce the rules on the real a-holes. As stated before, enforcement is the key. I'd guess that 95% of the attendees won't notice a difference.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I thought the letter was very fair. Too many people wanna act like a-holes and do whatever they want ruining it for the rest of us that behave. Imagine if you lived in the middle of Bike Week with your wife and kids. Would you want to hear people reving their bikes at all hours of the day and night outside your house when you have to get up in the morning for work? Would you want adults flashing each other in front of your young kids? Would you want all the trash from the empty beer bottles/cans and food containers strewn through your neighborhood? Thinking about someone besides yourself goes a long ways in this world when it comes to manners.

I think the rules sound very fair to me.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hmmmm....last time I checked I can't walk down the street of my town naked, drinking a beer, or reving my engine (or burning tires).....Seems reasonable that the sh#$ I expect others not to do in my hometown should be respected at others.......Now I love naked women and beer drinking....don't get me wrong...but....there are places for it...the mayor is just saying not in public...believe it or not there are people that live full time in Daytona and these people have children, etc......We'll go and have a good time......just be an adult........

·
Registered
755 Posts
Hammy71 said:
Hmmmm....last time I checked I can't walk down the street of my town naked, drinking a beer, or reving my engine (or burning tires).....Seems reasonable that the sh#$ I expect others not to do in my hometown should be respected at others.......Now I love naked women and beer drinking....don't get me wrong...but....there are places for it...the mayor is just saying not in public...believe it or not there are people that live full time in Daytona and these people have children, etc......We'll go and have a good time......just be an adult........
Burnout contest, naked women, beer drinking, live rock n roll, loudest pipes win a trophy - <sigh> only 5 more months til the Redwood Run... Daytona what? Oh, sorry.

(and now back to your regularly scheduled programming...)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Last Post to this subject;
Attached are 3 images I shot from one place on main street. All tickets written during daylight hours, all within 20 minutes. All look like @--s disturbing the festivities. Especially the lady who is clothed so skimpy and on roller blades.

All shot in 04, when the city first started cracking down, and I decided to spend my money in another agenda.

Sorry, but I find it shameful, that the "Bikers Welcome" signes and not "Family Motorcycle Buddies Meeting" hanging across the street. My window of acceptability may be greater than the local officials, but its my money they want to help the tax base. Anybody want to guess how much "bikers" spent in Daytona last March?? What it brought to the community? I assumed wrongly that "rules" should be protective. Who did those tickets protect?? If I lived next to Disney Land or the AirPort, I guess I should be able to get the Mayor to decree tickets for noise. Bush Gardens, Mayor stop the beer??? Daytona Beach, skimmpy swimsuits...oh wait they did...only on the street and focus on Bike Week.

OK, off my soapbox except to say I think we should change the not=politically=correct term "biker" to something more citizen friendly....."Mobile ATMs" ???

Just wanted to put the information out so that the forum members could see what was posted. Yes they started noise and skin tickets a couple years ago. But the letter I posted was dated recent from the Mayor, and the drinking rules seem new.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
Camera108 all 3 look like lagit tickets

#1 . Gut hanging over the short shorts

#2 . Do rag to new and too much chrome blinding the cop

#3. Well its a crotch rocket ...

Without knowing what transpired prior to the tickets the shots mean nothing.
Did the girl flash someone ? Was she rollerblading in traffic?
The guy on the Springer have blip wrist syndrom? rolled thru a stop?
Rocket man doing a stoppie? wheelie? weaving in and out of traffic ..

At any rally when u act like an @sshole u get treated as such. I have been going to rallies since my first, Laconia in 77. U could camp on the side of the road drink just about anywhere and see some questionable behavior. Yes its toned down since then but there is a time and place for everything.Party in the campgrounds have fun drink, get nakid , do some questionable things but do it on private property .

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Fxsts103ci said:
At any rally when u act like an @sshole u get treated as such. I have been going to rallies since my first, Laconia in 77. U could camp on the side of the road drink just about anywhere and see some questionable behavior. Yes its toned down since then but there is a time and place for everything.Party in the campgrounds have fun drink, get nakid , do some questionable things but do it on private property .
I have to agree...there is a time and a place for everything. Take the party to the private property/campground. Out in public, burnouts and nudity are out of place. If folks will show a little self restraint when in public, it will save all of us 'bikers' from being alienated and targeted. This is the same issue that has been beat to death with loud pipes...:beatdh:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.