V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from Daytona Bike Week and I must say - I am glad I didn't take my bike. There were alot of idiots riding there, even with police stationed everywhere you turn, there were alot of people that did not belong on bikes. The reason I am posting this is there are alot of people going to rallies, I wish for everyone to ride safely and not become a statistic.

Daytona Bike Week had the highest attendance in its history according to the Florida Tourism Bureau. But unfortunately they also had a record number of deaths - 19, up from 15 in 2000. The contributing factor to this record number of deaths is inexperienced riders and negligent drivers (cars / trucks). If you want more info on all the details just type in Daytona Bike Week in Google News and you will read some horrifying stories.

This makes me furious when I read this stuff, but it happens. All we can do is ride safer than ever before, don't fly through intersections, when leaving from a stop sign or traffic signal leave slowly because idiots do run these. As the motorcycle industry continues to grow, there will be more and more inexperienced riders taking to the road, we must watch out for and educate them by example.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Just reading a few of the articles. This one caught my eye.
Florida Highway Patrol Troopers say one the factors that attributed to the higher numbers are inexperienced riders.
Troopers say nearly half of the riders killed did not have much riding experience or had just bought their motorcycle.
http://cfn13.com/StoryHeadline.aspx?id=13978

I have been to a few rallies and have seen this first hand. Add to that, high traffic of cages and older cage drivers, and you get a bad outcome.
Now most of these may have been the cage drivers fault, but I bet half of them could have been prevented by a more experienced motorcyclist, even if the cage driver screws up.
It is very sad to hear of so many tragic deaths.
Everybody be careful out there.

And, ntrr01, Drove to Bike week?:dunno:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No I flew, was working it, promoting our rally. its hard carrying 10-20K of flyers picking up Hawaiian Tropic models to pass them out and going to every vendor booth on a bike. It wasn't pleasure it was work (will except for the HT girls of course).

One thing, what I saw on the news was as you say - inexperienced drivers. but some of the wrecks, no matter how experienced you are, couldn't have avoided it. One Stanley Steamer truck all of a sudden turned right from a left lane and killed three bikers in one wreck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bike Week

I was there and took my bike. Couldn't imagine going 950 miles for bike week and not taking my bike WTF, but to each his own. ~500,000 bikes in the area, tons of alcohol, lot's of blue haired cagers and a LOT of mid 50 somethings on their brand new baggers... there's bound to be accidents, one is too many and tragic. I gotta wonder how many got a lesson in how to pick up their bikes after a half dozen beers (or more). I saw a lot of stupid riding but it's been that way for twenty years. Be safe.

·
1,336 Posts
It is really sad about the loss of life there. I think the media over played this story, made is sound like it there was a huge jump of motorcycle deaths. Medias twist was to show how dangerous bike week and motorcyles are.
It would be interesting to see numbers from previuos years. I bet you would find pretty consitant numbers of death compared to number of partcipants.
15 in 2000
19 in 2005 2005 "record attendance"
Ride safe, Out of the 1/2 Million riding bikes at bike week. There would have been some number of deaths if all would have all stayed home and rode all week.

·
OLDBOY
784 Posts
ntrr01 said:
picking up Hawaiian Tropic models to pass them out
Damn! I always miss out.

Watching Speed channel's Two Wheel Tuesday they reported exceptionally low attendance and light traffic this year. They attributed the significant decrease in attendance to the inflated hotel prices in Daytona and claim many riders are starting to go elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I saw that two wheel tuesday episode and I think they were at a different rally than I was. What I did notice is there were a lot of vacancy signs at the motels. I think they have finally overpriced the market and people are staying in out lying areas. With the new Harley Shop out by the interstate a lot of the traffic has been split up but it was still pretty much gridlock on the main drags. The one factor I haven't really seen mentioned is the impatience of the local drivers. The local people make the same trip to the store or work 52 weeks out of the year. Suddenly what took them 15 minutes now takes them 45 minutes and they get antsy and do something stupid. I saw a jeep hit three bikes leaving the Iron Horse. It was if the driver kinda snapped and he did this right in front of a bunch of cops directing traffic. Fortunately no one was seriously injured. Bottom line in any heavily congested area you gotta be on your toes 100% of the time and they are so many distractions at bike week thats a hard chore.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
marvin4239 said:
With the new Harley Shop out by the interstate a lot of the traffic has been split up but it was still pretty much gridlock on the main drags.
I was there Thursday to Sunday the last weekend. I drove around everywhere. You are right about it being split up. There was stuff going on all up and down US1, in New Smyrna Beach, South Daytona Beach, Daytona Shores, Ormond Beach and even in Orlando. Attendance may have looked down, that would be because of everything being more spread out this year.

Since I ride and have since I was 15, being a cage gave me a different perspective about riding when watching riders doing some pretty stupid stuff like tear up the shoulder not wanting to wait in line, zipping in and out of traffic, most of these were young riders.

As for the hotels, on Wednesday I called for 3 hours over 40 hotels / motels and the only ones in Daytona (which I only found 3) that had rooms were high priced. I finally found one in New Smyrna for $100 a night and guess where - right behind a topless bar - go figure, and the rooms where nice and not by the hour LOL.

·
Registered
206 Posts
When I was checking out Saturday the receptionist was giving room rates to someone on the phone. Saturday was $279 a night and after that it was $179. Hundred bucks premium for bikers. And 19 out of half a million? I'll take those odds. Like Jonas said, there would have probably been close to that if everyone had stayed home.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Being I put on a rally in North Texas and doing alot of research about this I can honestly say that most "large" rallies like Daytona, Laconia, Lonestar Rally in Galveston, etc are all suffering because of hotel price gouging. People would rather stay in outlying areas to save money.

At least the hotels around our rally are cooperating with us by keeping prices normal. The chamber is very important in helping with that.

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
ntrr01 said:
Being I put on a rally in North Texas and doing alot of research about this I can honestly say that most "large" rallies like Daytona, Laconia, Lonestar Rally in Galveston, etc are all suffering because of hotel price gouging. People would rather stay in outlying areas to save money.

At least the hotels around our rally are cooperating with us by keeping prices normal. The chamber is very important in helping with that.
My husband and I have started blowing off Daytona Beach in favor of Myrtle Beach due in part to the hotel price gouging. We got a decent oceanfront suite at the Fall Rally in Myrtle Beach for $99 a night last year. Try coming close to that in Daytona! In Daytona you'll pay probably $250 - $300 a night for a total sh*thole complete with attitude from the rude employees who try to gouge you every chance they get, from springing parking charges on you to telling you that you have to park your trailer 3 miles away. They want your money, but they don't want to have to do anything for it.

That really pissed us off since we were there willing to spend our money to help Florida after a nasty hurricane season kept their normal big holiday attendance down, and we got treated like sh*t.

Not sure if/when we'll go back to Daytona - if we do we're going the weekend before the official Biketoberfest weekend when there's still stuff to do but not as many idiots packed into the area.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I Live close enough to Daytona to ride back and forth if I wish considering what they get for rooms. I agree Myrtle Beach is a bargian compared to Daytona. I've been staying there the last few years at a Travel Lodge 2 blocks off the beach right next to a great buffet restaurant (Grandmas Kitchen). It's walking distance to several bars and during bike week the rooms are $80 per night and nice people running the place. During the fall rally the rooms last year were $45. Last year the owner had spots marked off for bikes only and it's pretty secure. He even provided towels to clean your bike with. Guess he wanted to save his good stuff. It's right behind the amusement park

·
Registered
206 Posts
Talking about Daytona people sticking it to you.... A friend of mine trailered his and another bike down Wednesday. Paid $142.00 to park his trailer in a lot until Sunday. Wednesday night sometime before 11:00 his bike was stolen a few blocks from Main St.. He wasn't in a partying mood so Thursday morning he left early to go back home. A friend of his went by the parking lot later that morning and the f#%$&*g guys wouldn't give him any kind of refund! I've heard of the same kind of crap before.
Lock your forks! The ignition lock is hardly worth doing. All it takes is a good size pair of pliers to turn the switch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds and looks like a good party though. Thinking of heading out this October. But I've decided, if I go, to fly down and leave the bike at home. :unsure:

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
reno_nv said:
Sounds and looks like a good party though. Thinking of heading out this October. But I've decided, if I go, to fly down and leave the bike at home. :unsure:
I like Biketoberfest better than Bike Week - the weather's usually better (unless a friggin' hurricane is coming) and there's not as many people, although it's getting bigger all the time and the price gouging is still rampant... And if you wanted to ride you could rent a bike!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts