V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question for you guys… As we all know the stock wind deflector on the Street Glide does absolutely nothing for wind protection. I have the smaller low touring windshield (9-1/2") and use it in the really cold months, but I want something that looks better for use in the summer months. I am thinking of picking up the Dark Smoked Oversized Wind Deflector (6-1/2") that came on the Screaming Eagle Bagger…

For those that have this shield can you tell me if it provides you protection from the wind and elements? I am 6' tall. I don't want to waste my money if once I get it I am still getting slammed in the face on the highway.

Electra Glide® Dark Smoked Oversize Wind Deflector P/N 57185-05

Style meets function. This 6-1/2" tall Lexan® Wind Deflector splits the difference between the wind deflector and a low windshield, offering sport styling with a little greater wind protection.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
American-Thunder on ebay

My friends and I have purchased Lexan CNC machine cut windhields from American-Thunder on Ebay and been very pleased.
One buddy purchased the 7" dark smoked windshield, $30 plus $10 shipping, a year ago and loves it; he's about 6' tall and rides about 15K per year on a 2004 FLHT.
I purchased the 4" dark smoke for use in the Atlanta heat and like the air flow. But I am going to purchase the 7" dark smoked to use on trips; I'm 6'1."
Check out American-Thunder on Ebay. There are others, also, who offer excellent products at substantial savings over the HD products.

·
Recon
839 Posts
LittleBear said:
Check out Clearview shields. http://www.clearviewshields.com/index.htm
You have to request there info on your bike but the Air Kick Recurve option on a shorter shield looks like the way I will go for a short shield on my FLHT.
I have the 6.5 solid black with lip on my StreetGlide. I am 5'10 and have no wind in my face I really , really like this w/s. It works better than my 8 fastaire.

·
Live Now - Go For It
89 Posts
Motown_LEO said:
Got a question for you guys… As we all know the stock wind deflector on the Street Glide does absolutely nothing for wind protection. I have the smaller low touring windshield (9-1/2") and use it in the really cold months, but I want something that looks better for use in the summer months. I am thinking of picking up the Dark Smoked Oversized Wind Deflector (6-1/2") that came on the Screaming Eagle Bagger…

For those that have this shield can you tell me if it provides you protection from the wind and elements? I am 6' tall. I don't want to waste my money if once I get it I am still getting slammed in the face on the highway.

Electra Glide® Dark Smoked Oversize Wind Deflector P/N 57185-05

Style meets function. This 6-1/2" tall Lexan® Wind Deflector splits the difference between the wind deflector and a low windshield, offering sport styling with a little greater wind protection.
I ride a 2006 FLHTCUSE and the stock windshield still has issues with the wind, I would recommend going with Fastaire and buy both the 8" and 9" and try both at the low price you can't go wrong. I attached the link for their site below:

http://www.fastaire.com/

·
Registered
50 Posts
Am 5 9, street glide with sundowner seat (about an inch lower) and 7 1/2" harley light smoked windshield, perfect combination for the road. Once home, off with the seat, windshield and tourpac and she's back to the lean, mean, street rod she's meant to be.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the 6.5 inch H-D dark smoked windshield on my SG and for me, at 5'10", it's perfect. It keeps the original look and no more wind buffeting. I can hear my music better too. A higher windshield may offer even more protection but doesn't have "the look."

Adam

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have the 6.5 incher on my Street Glide. It is a good compromise for the look's versus function. But if I were to go on any long haul trips I would want to go to a 9 inch to try and get out of the buffeting on the top of my helmet.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the 9" dark smoke Fastaire windshield on my Electraglide Classic and love it, although I do get some buffeting at highway speeds. I would have gone to the the 10" to fix this, but the 10" has a different profile than the 9" (more square at the top), and I didn't like it. It's certainly better than my HD stock 12" though. I'm 5'10.

·
Registered
38 Posts
04GLIDE said:
I have a Clearview 6" black with the recurve. Love it!
What exactly does the recurve do? Just wondering...

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
saneboy said:
What exactly does the recurve do? Just wondering...
Well if you look at the pic you will see that it will deflect most of the bugs up over your face. I said most not all.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have the 9" dark smoke Fastaire windshield on my Electraglide Classic and love it

I have a Fastaire 7,8,9 inch all in dark smoke for my electra glide classic. I like the 8" but cannot see through it at night. I think i will go with the 9" light smoke because I have BAD wind buffet behind my fairing and have tried everything to get rid of it. Only height will overcome this buffeting and the 10" looks too tall.

Anybody want a cool dark smoke 7" Sin State shield?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts