V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently changed to Mobil 1 V Twin 20-50 this last summer because of the heat in my new home state of Texas. I am sure that the synthetics stand up to the heat better but I am concerned over the Mobil 1 claim that I can run the oil for 5,000 miles with confidence of full protection aginst viscosity shear. I have the scavenger system installed and do feel good about how much clearer and purer my oil is at change intervals, but, even with that I notice that the color becomes quite dark at just 3,000 miles and now at 4,000 I feel that I cannot let it go any further. In my previous envrionment of the Northern Rockies I used only HD 360 oils based on the season and never let it go beyond 2,500-2,600 miles and most of the time much less miles because of season changes. I 86'ed the chiains very early in this bikes life so I know there is no tensioner degradation.

Has any other Mobil 1 users noticed dark oil in the later miles of the professed 5,000 mile life?

SE Road King
'02FLHRSEI

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
I use Mobil 1 V Twin in both of my bikes, haven't noticed it being darker but I never leave it in until 5K anyway. I change the Street Glide between 3500 and 4000 miles. The Street Bob gets changed about every 1500 since it has an SE 120R in it. I use K&N oil filters exclusively.

Oil and oil filters are not that expensive in the scheme of 2012 living, I figure it is just worth it to change frequently.

·
Registered
765 Posts
If it didn't get dark I would be worried. If you are worried about the life of your oil, spend a few bucks and have sample set to a lab.

·
Iron Butt, SS2000
3,399 Posts
Don't worry about the color. It will get dark. No stopping that. You can not determine effectiveness by color.

Send it to a lab if you must know. You will be amazed at how well your oil is doing even when it looks black.

5K miles is a reasonable interval for any good oil unless it's been exposed to heat above 250 for several hours.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
It's interesting your oil gets that dark. I use the same and change at 4000 miles and it's not overly dark. I wonder if your engine is running over rich and causing this or if theres some piston ring issue? Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Don't worry about the color. It will get dark. No stopping that. You can not determine effectiveness by color.

Send it to a lab if you must know. You will be amazed at how well your oil is doing even when it looks black.

5K miles is a reasonable interval for any good oil unless it's been exposed to heat above 250 for several hours.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Very good advice. I have sent a lot of oil to labs over the last 30 plus years selling Amsoil and have had some oil that looked bad actually was good and then clean looking oil be bad due to some external mechanical problem with that particular engine. I know it is human nature though to feel good when the oil is clean looking.
george

·
Registered
22 Posts
your oil is picking up dirt and deposits and keeping them in suspension, hence all oil gets darker throughout its service cycle; most likely whatever oil was used previously didn't clean as well or left some deposits due to thermal sheering throughout its service cycle

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
Kmrcstintn is right, plus synthetic oil is much higher in solvency than conventional oil so it cleans very well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts