V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's a heads-up on a potentially dangerous part install.

I have been made aware of 2 different incidents with a part that is installed on the swingarm of softails. I'm sure you've seen the various bolt-on chrome dress-up kits that give the illusion of a chrome swingarm. One example would be part number 47059-01, page 353 of the 2002 H-D motor accessories catalog and there are other kits available.

The 2 incidents occurred when the swingarm cover would rub on the frame and break. Then the cover has fallen down and lodged between the drive belt and pulley. This occurred on a Fatboy and a Heritage, both bikes being very similar, but each occurrence taking place at 2 separate dealers.

Both bikes had to have the drive belt and pulley replaced. This gets my attention seeing how in theory it could lock up your rear wheel. Not a good thing!

Both dealer service managers said they would no longer install these type of parts. I had these very parts on a Heritage and I remember seeing the rub marks. Thankfully they never broke.

Hope this helps. Just be careful.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Thanks for the info fulldraw, I do have this on my bike. Have the owners of these bikes notified the dealer or the MO-CO. This sounds like a potential recall to me. Do you have any additional info. Keep us posted.:confused:

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Fatvette,

Harley just ain't big on recalls. Remember the '99 model roller bearing failures? It was well documented in all the v-twin rags that most of us read. To my knowledge the motor company never had an official recall on this problem. The dealers took the position of what I term a soft recall in that if you brought the bike in with a problem they would fix it. This is one of the reasons I would be reluctant to a pre 2000 twin cam bike.

Big business usually like to operate under the auspices of plausible deniability. One of the dealers has pulled the parts I mentioned from their shelves.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts