V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Think my Compensator sprocket nuts come loose...:mad:
Somethings not right in there!!! fuckineckyflumpyhumph!!!
On my way home from work, rattly strange spinning noises from the primary! Stopped, got a tow truck, open her up on sunday.
[email protected]!!! :mad:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Sorry to hear HH. Yea, inquiring minds want to know

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
That happened to me last year too. Left a nice lttle clearance spot in the primary cover. Put he impact on it and gave er hell. So far it has stayed on.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
That suks dude, keep us posted.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Habanero Kid said:
What didja find when ya got her open?
Gonna 'operate' this Sunday cuming.
I haven't got an air impact wrench, so I was wondering 'if' its the compensator sprog nut thats loose, after I tighten the nut up as tight as I can get it with what I've got,.......'Might' I get away with driving about 4 or 500 yards to the nearest auto shop and get them to 'impact' the shite out of it, bearing in mind there'll be no primary cover, hence no oil in it? (clutch plates an all that)
and I'm a skinny fuk and pushing it would snap me in two!

·
Registered
58 Posts
had same problem on previous ride out breakerbar on that dog after a liberal coat of locktight carefully placed cheaterbar on that rascal of a breaker bar and pulled till I turned blue never came loose again, but never tried to get loose again....

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
harleyhog said:

Gonna 'operate' this Sunday cuming.
I haven't got an air impact wrench, so I was wondering 'if' its the compensator sprog nut thats loose, after I tighten the nut up as tight as I can get it with what I've got,.......'Might' I get away with driving about 4 or 500 yards to the nearest auto shop and get them to 'impact' the shite out of it, bearing in mind there'll be no primary cover, hence no oil in it? (clutch plates an all that)
and I'm a skinny fuk and pushing it would snap me in two!
In my manual,it says you need a primary drive locking tool.(HD-41214)
If you can get a breaker bar, it'll make things a lot easier. Manual also says that the tq spec on the comp nut should be 150-165 ft lbs. (203.4-223.7 Nm) I think if you can get that bar, (borrow one) a good meter should do it, you can pull till you pop a vein and it should be ok. BTW , over here there are auto shops that will rent out tools or let you take them if you leave a deposit. Make some calls in your area to see if they have a tq wrench that will do the job.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

·
Registered
58 Posts
sorry HH didn't mean to replay a mistake thought I could help although have had the same prob in past God love 's that loc-tite, still the extra 25-35lbs makes a diff...

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Damn the luck HH !! With any luck you'll be back in the wind in no time. Sounds like you heard it pretty quick, prolly didn't hurt anything. (fingers crossed for ya, just in case )

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
fmich7867 said:
sorry HH didn't mean to replay a mistake thought I could help although have had the same prob in past God love 's that loc-tite, still the extra 25-35lbs makes a diff...
No problem fmich!!! I was wondering how much 'over' might be 'safe' to go with the torque anyway. Thanks for the heads up.

Hey twincamzz, didn't know ya cared..:D :D :D

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ah chucks....:D

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
Well it looks like I didn't tell you anything you didn't already know. I just read the other thread. {shrug} At least you know how to tackle it this time. It should go a lot faster. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Clean the threads of the compensator nut and shaft to get all the oil off before you use the Loc Tight and the stuff will hold better. I used rubbing alcohol to clean mine. I also made a primary locking tool out of a piece of Red Oak (it's real hard) wood. 2 inches by 2 inches and about 3 inches long. Use a saw and cut 1/4inch stair steps on one end of the wood and jam that between the chain and the sprocket. I used the same piece of wood two different times and it's still in good shape.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.