·
Registered
487 Posts
no not ness

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
evocanuck said:
Should I be replacing the cylinder studs everytime the top end comes apart.??
No, but if it is an early EVO with the shoulder up on the studs, replace them with a new set of HD's and install them with the shoulders down.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Having experienced the pains of broken exhaust studs, I plan on replacing the remaining originals the next time the top end is apart. Perhaps this might be something to consider.

Luckily the broken stud was on the front cylinder and about 1/2" of material remained. There was enough room to get a stud remover on it and screw it out. The rear cylinder would have been WAY more difficult.

These things weaken over the years due to heat exposure.

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
Ka-Ka said:
Having experienced the pains of broken exhaust studs, I plan on replacing the remaining originals the next time the top end is apart. Perhaps this might be something to consider.

Luckily the broken stud was on the front cylinder and about 1/2" of material remained. There was enough room to get a stud remover on it and screw it out. The rear cylinder would have been WAY more difficult.

I think he was talking about the studs that hold the cylinders and heads on.

·
Registered
260 Posts
springer- said:
I think he was talking about the studs that hold the cylinders and heads on.
I know, but wouldn't these parts now be out of the framework of the bike? Easier to work on.

This is why I mentioned it would be a good time to attend the subject. It's simply preventive maintenance. Doesn't need to be done.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Should one replace used cylinder studs? Technicaly, yes.
The cylinder studs are Torque To Yield design, where they have thier holding power by being elastic.
If by chance one or more of the TTY studs have stretched beyond thier elastic limit, they will lose thier holding power.
Practicaly however, the studs most of the time can be reused.

·
FXR
117 Posts
Ka-Ka said:

I feel your pain times ten. I had both of the rear exhaust studs break flush on mine. I tried using an extractor on the first one and broke it off in the stud. It literally took hours to drill that hard ass extractor out of there. Needless to say, I won't be using extractors ever again. In the future, I will replace any stud while I have access to it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts