V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there any particular year of twin cam head to
stay away from? I'm gonna pick up some for a winter build
and was curious. The heads will be worked over.
thanks.

dzlfitr

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
06 for the time being, compatability problems with earlier models.

99-04 have "convential" valves, springs, seals, keepers etc..
05 use behive springs and thin stem valves etc...

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
dzlfitr said:
is there any particular year of twin cam head to
stay away from? I'm gonna pick up some for a winter build
and was curious. The heads will be worked over.
thanks.

dzlfitr
All the Twin Cam heads lack in flow characteristics and need attention there. The 05 heads where changerd to a smaller valve stem which put a bind on them for a while till valve makers made larger and lighter valves with the smaller stems. The valve springs also changed in 05 to a Bhive style spring...I know there are S/E high performance replacment Bhive springs but they might be limited to a certian lift. Dewey or BigBoyz woulkd know more on this subject.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
2005 Cylinder Heads

On the 2005 cylinder heads with the bee hive springs, Harley is having a failure issue with the valve stem seals. There is a new stem seal being used, and it is blue in color. Although the dealer will not explain the issue, I believe the spring is grabbing the seal and lifting it off of it's seated area.

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
Ray galetti said:
On the 2005 cylinder heads with the bee hive springs, Harley is having a failure issue with the valve stem seals. There is a new stem seal being used, and it is blue in color. Although the dealer will not explain the issue, I believe the spring is grabbing the seal and lifting it off of it's seated area.
Actully I think the seal is filling up with oil and running in the guide....Springer did a good artical and pictures to boot on whats happening with this new design...search it out its very informitive.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HMMMMM..... must not be anybody home
up there in Maine. sent 2 e-mails, and no reply.
Go figger.

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
Ray galetti said:
There are no blue valve seals. There are orange seals and green metal rings. If you would like to understand the problem, here is the link http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63946

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
dzlfitr said:
HMMMMM..... must not be anybody home
up there in Maine. sent 2 e-mails, and no reply.
Go figger.
2 email to who? Send me a PM if you are having a problem getting through. I know Bean answers his email in the evenings. But he is available during the day usually at the number on the ad.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Springer... yes I did. Whatever you did, thanks.
I guess because I am not a paid member I can not
recieve any PM's.

dzlfitr

1 - 13 of 13 Posts