V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard some recent discussion about the installation of dowels to control oil at the base of the cylinders. I've seen the pictures but I'm not clear as to whether or not these dowels can be installed in in the factory holes or if the holes have to be opened up to a larger diameter to accept the dowels. I'm getting ready to start my 95" BB and am wondering if the dowels are a wise add while I'm at it.

Thanks,
DLR

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
DLRVelocity1 said:
I've heard some recent discussion about the installation of dowels to control oil at the base of the cylinders. I've seen the pictures but I'm not clear as to whether or not these dowels can be installed in in the factory holes or if the holes have to be opened up to a larger diameter to accept the dowels. I'm getting ready to start my 95" BB and am wondering if the dowels are a wise add while I'm at it.

Thanks,
DLR
The alignment dowels are already in the motor case they do not have to be changed for the 95" build. There are 2 at the base of each cylinder in the motor case. One of the dowels on each cylinder (rear dowel on rear cyl, front dowel on front cyl.) is also an oil return passage thus the need for the O-ring (these already have O-rings they just need replaced) . The other 2 dowels do not get an O-ring and would cause a problem if you in put O-rings on them. There is also the large O-ring that goes around the sleeve at the base of the cylinder to seal it and that needs replaced. You may be referring to the discussions about the dowels on the top of the cylinder. These also have O-rings but do not have to be reinstalled with some head gaskets that seal this area thus eliminating the O-ring. Hope this helps!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts