V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://cycleworld.com/index.cfm?siteaction=OnSaleNow&id=77

man, they REALLY seem to like it, as a bar hopper, but not as an all day machine.

what do guys think who have similiar Victory bikes?

i am used to getting the old lady up, and spending all day saturday, riding, eating shopping, eating, and riding.

i am currently bikeless, and about to buy a dang moped just to get the wind in my face and the bugs in my teeth again... :nunu:

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
The Jackpot is a beautiful bike, but it sounds like it might not be the best bike for your needs. If you frequently carry a passenger on shopping trips, there are other bikes more suited to that role.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Victory

I have no experience with the jackpot. But my father Has a 05 Vegas and it has been on a many all day trips. He has put almost 9k miles on his bike in about 8 months. He would have more but, he works 3 jobs so his time is limited. He has took a few 8-9 hours rides.
Steve Ricketts

·
Registered
16 Posts
All Day Riders

Ofcourse I've never riden the Jackpot but the only reason I can think of for it not being an allday rider would be the extreme difference in tire sizes and the handling that goes with it.
The Vegas and Kingpin are definitely all day riders. I'm guessing the Hammer would be pretty comfortable as well even with the 250 in the back.

Alot of guys including the riders of the old Vic body style look at the new bikes and refer to them as bar hoppers. The truth is that these are great looking machines and they are great riding machines. I think you'll enjoy any one you try.

If you want to play it safe, get the Kingpin. If the fenders arn't to your liking, you can put a Vegas fender on the back and a Hammer fender on the front.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I read the article. Hell, I have a friend that go on all day rides on AIH Texas Chopper. Actually he rode it from ATL to Sturgis last year.

That Vegas Jackpot is a badass looking bike. Harley better watch their a$$ and get with the program or more people will opt for the Victory. No reason H-D can't offer some of their bikes with 250 tires add some chrome without creating a CVO bike that costs $28k plus. And the days of the small displacement engines are numbered too. It can't cost that much more money to produce a 103" than an 88".

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
thatoldbike said:
And the days of the small displacement engines are numbered too. It can't cost that much more money to produce a 103" than an 88".
Which is exactly why US car manufacturers have not improved the fuel economy on the vehicles produced in 25 years, those big SUV's that are so popular. They make more money on them because it doesn't cost that much more to pop in a bigger engine. We need to start focusing on making better engines, not just bigger engines, and that applies to motorcycles as well.

·
Registered
454 Posts
sthorp said:
We need to start focusing on making better engines, not just bigger engines, and that applies to motorcycles as well.
The Revolution engine in the V-Rod is a great example of this. Even though it is significantly smaller than the engine in any competitive bike, it produces more power and a nice broad torque curve. Good stuff.

·
Contemplative Malcontent
64 Posts
The Freedom engine is a great performer and keeps ticking. I know several guys with over 120,000 on the original Vic Hammer engine too with only the tranny recall performed as any major service. It's not the visual work of art the HD motors are but there is no denying the engineering, power and longevity Vic builds in. I average 46mpg on both my Vic's, which is great next to my truck with 15.6 mpg average.

·
Registered
529 Posts
thatoldbike said:
And the days of the small displacement engines are numbered too. It can't cost that much more money to produce a 103" than an 88".
It would not cost Harley one cent more to make a 103" bike than it cost them to make the 88" motor. The only reason they don't do it is because they know that people will pay them big$$$ after the sale to do it themselves. It's all marketing.:yes:

·
Registered
335 Posts
That Vegas Jackpot is a badass looking bike. Harley better watch their a$$ and get with the program or more people will opt for the Victory.
Well, at this point many riders will choose a Harley regardless of a "badass" look or 250 tire. Vic sells about 5000 motorcycles a year. Harley sells that in one week.

Obviously, not too many people care about the larger rear tire when purchasing an HD. It affects handling adversely, they wear far quicker, and they're more expensive to replace.

·
Registered
454 Posts
azrider said:
Obviously, not too many people care about the larger rear tire when purchasing an HD. It affects handling adversely, they wear far quicker, and they're more expensive to replace.
Not to mention that they look stupid! To each his own, but I REALLY don't understand the appeal of these huge, out of proportion rear tires. It cracks me up to hear some custom builder talking about how "innovative" his new bike is, as it uses a 330 rear tire.

·
Registered
4 Posts
azrider said:
Well, at this point many riders will choose a Harley regardless of a "badass" look or 250 tire. Vic sells about 5000 motorcycles a year. Harley sells that in one week.

The 250 rear on the jackpot was designed just for the JP and I doubt it will wear any faster that any other tire. The tire doesn't adversely affect the handling either, yes it takes a few turns to get used to it but after a couple of miles it is as good as other bikes with "normal" tires.

After many miles on fat boys and RK I wanted to go with a bike that stands out a bit. The JP does that with added power from the 100ci the 6 spd and all the standard chrome. I still love HD and have nothing bad to say about them and if Vic and other companies keep rasing the bar it will be good for everyone.

The JP is fine on long runs, me and the seat warmer log 200+ miles in a day without any problem, I know it's not a cross country run but it's not a barhop either.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The 250 rear on the jackpot was designed just for the JP and I doubt it will wear any faster that any other tire. The tire doesn't adversely affect the handling either, yes it takes a few turns to get used to it but after a couple of miles it is as good as other bikes with "normal" tires.
The profile of this particular tire will definitely wear more than a standard tire. They're low profile tires, similar to what are on sportbikes. They do wear faster.

The 250 tire can't help but affect the handling. If you put a very skinny tire on the back it will affect handling. The same goes for a very wide tire.

Glad you like your jackpot. Saw one yesterday and they are very sharp.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Those tires on sportbikes wear faster because they are made of a softer compound designed to increase grip on the track, not because they're low-profile. Going to a lower profile design isn't cutting out the amount of rubber that will wear on a tire, it decreases the height of the sidewall for better handling (in cars at least, i.e. less flex in the sidewall under hard cornering) and for better looks (purely subjective).

Personally, I love the look of the new Jackpot (and the 250mm tire, 100 c.i. fuelie, 6-speed tranny, etc.) If I had the $$, I might even consider selling my HD for one. (I'd have to hear one with pipes first)

:sofa:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Indirectly, that's what I mean. I didn't think they has any less rubber. As you stated, low profile tires wear faster because of the composition.

·
Registered
44 Posts
04ctd said:
http://cycleworld.com/index.cfm?siteaction=OnSaleNow&id=77

man, they REALLY seem to like it, as a bar hopper, but not as an all day machine.

what do guys think who have similiar Victory bikes?

i am used to getting the old lady up, and spending all day saturday, riding, eating shopping, eating, and riding.

i am currently bikeless, and about to buy a dang moped just to get the wind in my face and the bugs in my teeth again... :nunu:

You need a Kingpin or a TC in your situation (I have a Kingpin, love it)....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts