V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, after some previous discussions on this forum about cycle shack slip ons I got myself a pair for my new FXD. Just put them on an hour ago and I have two words concerning the sound......HOLY SH........T!!!!!!
My neighbors are gonna kill me this summer:D My wife came out of the house with a grin from ear to ear. I think she likes the sound! If I ever get a warm day here soon I'll take it out for a spin and get a feel for how it will run. Hopefully I can live with it without making any carb adjustments. We'll see. Thanks for all the posts recommending these mufflers, good choice!!!!!
Sheepboy
01 Sportster
02 FXD

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sheepboy, I didn't fully appreciate the sound of mine until by brother mentioned how loud they are. I didn't think they were all that loud until I stood a few feet behind the bike while he gave it a little gas...... Until then, I had always been sitting on it or standing on the jiffy side.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Re: Cycle Shacks...

Greetings sheepboy,
I ran a set of Cycle Shack staggerred slash cuts last season on my '99 FXDX. They were acceptable on the stock engine. Better once I did a little baffle adj. with a one inch drift. In thier original state they sounded kinda like an air leak upon decelleration. I picked them up brand new for $85.00 on eBay so the price was right. Currently I'm running Samson 2 1/4" Street Sweepers w/torque cones on the now heavily breathed upon 95" engine. It sounds as if all hell has broken loose when lit off. Kinda top fueleresque.
The Cycle Shacks are nice pipes but I felt the small diameter head pipes would not be sufficeint since they were originally designed for an 80" engine. Besides I had been lusting for the Street Sweepers for quite some time. For a stocker, they're fine. Where as the Samsons would have been overkill without the engine mods I had done.
Enjoy the slip ons. They probably sound better than the complete system since you're running the stock head pipes with the crossover which would eliminate the annoying pfff, pfff sound upon decelleration.
Ride safe... Mike

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike, I've put about 50 miles on the new mufflers and have been very pleased so far. There seems to be a very small increase in power(could be my imagination) the sound is fantastic, and there is no dead area in the powerband and no popping or anything when backing off the throttle. I haven't done any modifications to the engine or carb and don't plan on it(maybe a different air filter someday) I'm no power hungry speed demon and my friends tell me I ride like an old lady! Must be a combination of old age and common sense. Ride on:D
Loud Sheepboy

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Yo Sheepboy,

Glad you like the Cycle Shacks. At one time I believe they made the SE slip ons for Harley. Don't know if that still holds true. I enjoyed the SE slip ons for a season or so when I first got my FXDX.

If you plan on upgrading to a trick air cleaner, check out the Arlen Ness Big Sucker. One of the cleanest set ups I've seen to date. Integral head breather and no extraeneous junk hanging out.

The engine will sound even better once the AC is upgraded since it will be injesting more air therefor operating more efficiently. This may also impart a lean condition hence more air flow, so you may need to step up the idle mixture or rejet which is no big deal.

Whatever you do, enjoy and be safe.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts