V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok. I bought some used (from E-bay) cycle shack slip-ons tapered cut mufflers for my 2002 1200 custom sportster. Has anyone heard these mufflers on a bike and will I need to rejet my carb or install a different air filter? Any other comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes, you need to rejet, possibly go up one size on the pilot jet and shim the needle with #4 washers from the hardware store, either .020" or .040". Total cost should be less then $5.00

This should be done even in stock configuration as they run real lean on bottom and midrange from the factory.

You do not "have" to get the intake kit, but these things really complement each other to realize the expected gains.

Hippo

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'll post a link to the nightrider site from home later. There are detailed instructions on how to do this, just bypass the part about drilling the slide and changing the spring as this is obsolete thinking.

·
<{{{><
170 Posts
I have the slash cut one and they are loud. I really like them. And yes my carb has been jetted.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Oooops. CRS.

nightrider

Just skip the drilling of the slide and changing of spring and needle and shim the stock needle instead. The info on the site is somewhat obsolete, but it's still pretty much the same carburetor.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. They should be delivered today and I am putting them on tonight, I will let you know how they sound.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I have the boloney cut slipons with the baffles installed. I like the deep sound. However I do not think the jet has been changed ( I bought a used sporty 883 and the slipons came with bike) I have not noticed any preformance degradation other than a burp now and again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts