V-Twin Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Actually, if I were looking for a new bowl, I just realized that the bowl assembly is still available from Harley. Or at least it appears to be. Based on my experience with Ronnie's, if a part number has a price next to it, it has always been available (and vice versa).

There it is... #34. Ronnie's Harley-Davidson's 1993 Harley Davidson FXRS-CON Super Glide - Low Rider Sport Convertible (EM) | CARBURETOR ASSEMBLY Parts List

I have looked at this diagram a number of times. Specifically looking for the check valve spring and ball/needle. I don't know why it didn't hit me to try ordering a whole NEW bowl assembly until now? New ought to be about as fixed as it can get.

I doubt Ronnie's can get it too me as quickly as I would hope. While their prices are great, I have not noticed an 'expedited shipping' option.

I'll give them a call in the a.m.

·
Registered
17,583 Posts
If I recomended a carb, it wouldn't be a Miki. It would be a Lectron.
I thought those weren't street friendly.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I keep seeing, on Facebook FXR groups, a good number of posts regarding washing down cylinders by forgetting (failing) to turn off the petcock. No overflow on those either, or so I gather.

Actually, I see more post about people removing them than installing.

·
FOAD
401 Posts
I keep seeing, on Facebook FXR groups, a good number of posts regarding washing down cylinders by forgetting (failing) to turn off the petcock. No overflow on those either, or so I gather.
Late model CV carbs don't have a overflow either and just have to train your brain to turn off the petcock.
Haven't missed doing it once for years now and run a late model CV which means one less crappy hose running down the bike :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
12,266 Posts

Actually, I see more post about people removing them than installing.
Back when I had to shut the petcock off I let the bike run until it used up that bit of gas and stalled. Then I switched the ignition off. Never had to mess with a carburetor. Anyone who had a 2 stroke bike or boat motor would do this with no fouled plugs or gummy carb.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Back when I had to shut the petcock off I let the bike run until it used up that bit of gas and stalled. Then I switched the ignition off. Never had to mess with a carburetor. Anyone who had a 2 stroke bike or boat motor would do this with no fouled plugs or gummy carb.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk
This is what I do, at the end of the day's riding.

·
Registered
30 Posts
@journeymanjohn I have had somewhat of a revelation with my CV. After multiple carb removals & rejets, needle shimming & such, i bought a kit from CVP as was linked here earlier. I also got the accel pump upgrade because mine was siphoning from the nozzle as well above idle.

As the carb was after the "knight rider rebuild" i had a 45 slow, 170 main, a needle from god knows where, an 1/8th inch drilled slide & a siphoning accell pump nozzle. With the factory air cleaner i got 31 MPG on a highway trip. Now mind you this 5 speed is rolling about 3500 RPM at 70.

I thought it ran great but smelled fat & i thought the mileage should be better. So i changed the slow jet to 42. No real change in mileage, mabye up a point or 1.5. I had slight black smoke free revving it so i then removed a shim from the needle, No real change in MPG or smoke. Then i tackled the accell pump, fussing with the factory valve, tried a ball for weight, a spring from a ball point pen, etc. No luck so i just put it back together with the factory seat & a spring & it basically closed it off, no squirt at all. Did my 55 mile loop for MPG test & got 34.5 MPG & ran a lot smoother, less fat but still same slight black smoke.

Finally installed the kit from CVP & a NEW slide with factory hole. 45 slow, 185 main per instructions, installed accel pump upgrade. The kit i got has a tapered no notch needle with spring & jets. No shimming of needle. Aftermarket nuttin fancy air cleaner installed. Accel pump is not strong but functional but NO black smoke free revving. Also.........get this.....as with your bike, before rebuild my ldle mixture screw had little effect, now it is smooth at 2-2 1/2 turns out. I think that POS "cyclecraft" 45 jet was way too big, drilled wrong, who knows. Im gonna measure it & see....jeez... So i filled up, took off on my 55 mile loop & was amazed at how great it ran, no stink at idle & seemed less fat. Did my loop, rolled back into the gas station with 54 miles on the ODO. Put 1.270 gallons in it. 42 MPG........hoorah, i am happy. If i keep it below 3000 RPM im sure i can better that. 70-80 on the highway really gets her cranking.

All that being said, if 45 slow & 180 ish main doesnt produce decent results you may have shitty part issues as i did, i hate that, good luck bud!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 · (Edited)
@journeymanjohn I have had somewhat of a revelation with my CV. After multiple carb removals & rejets, needle shimming & such, i bought a kit from CVP as was linked here earlier. I also got the accel pump upgrade because mine was siphoning from the nozzle as well above idle.

As the carb was after the "knight rider rebuild" i had a 45 slow, 170 main, a needle from god knows where, an 1/8th inch drilled slide & a siphoning accell pump nozzle. With the factory air cleaner i got 31 MPG on a highway trip. Now mind you this 5 speed is rolling about 3500 RPM at 70.

I thought it ran great but smelled fat & i thought the mileage should be better. So i changed the slow jet to 42. No real change in mileage, mabye up a point or 1.5. I had slight black smoke free revving it so i then removed a shim from the needle, No real change in MPG or smoke. Then i tackled the accell pump, fussing with the factory valve, tried a ball for weight, a spring from a ball point pen, etc. No luck so i just put it back together with the factory seat & a spring & it basically closed it off, no squirt at all. Did my 55 mile loop for MPG test & got 34.5 MPG & ran a lot smoother, less fat but still same slight black smoke.

Finally installed the kit from CVP & a NEW slide with factory hole. 45 slow, 185 main per instructions, installed accel pump upgrade. The kit i got has a tapered no notch needle with spring & jets. No shimming of needle. Aftermarket nuttin fancy air cleaner installed. Accel pump is not strong but functional but NO black smoke free revving. Also.........get this.....as with your bike, before rebuild my ldle mixture screw had little effect, now it is smooth at 2-2 1/2 turns out. I think that POS "cyclecraft" 45 jet was way too big, drilled wrong, who knows. Im gonna measure it & see....jeez... So i filled up, took off on my 55 mile loop & was amazed at how great it ran, no stink at idle & seemed less fat. Did my loop, rolled back into the gas station with 54 miles on the ODO. Put 1.270 gallons in it. 42 MPG........hoorah, i am happy. If i keep it below 3000 RPM im sure i can better that. 70-80 on the highway really gets her cranking.

All that being said, if 45 slow & 180 ish main doesnt produce decent results you may have shitty part issues as i did, i hate that, good luck bud!
Thanks.

I ended up dropping it off at a mechanic yesterday.

I did the accelerator pump rebuild kit.

Tried the new cyclepro check valve for it, Like you, either nothing at all or dripping out the carb. I didn't waste a lot of time trying to tune a check valve.

I bought a new factory bowl assembly from Harley and installed it before riding to the motorcycle shop (NOT a HD mechanic). It came with the check valve and standpipe installed, as well as the overflow. I transferred a new formed O ring to it before installing as well as a drain screw/o ring.

She was a sluggish ride on the way in. Still lots of popping on decel. Sputtering a bit between 2 and 3K while holding throttle steady.

I tested for air leaks, but didn't find any. Still I took a gasket set in to the shop with the bike. I also took them slow jets 40, 42, 45, 46, 48, 50, & 52, main jets 165, 170, 175, 185, 190, & 195, a bunch of washers for needle shims, and three various needles. The slide installed is NOT drilled. A new o ring is on the bowl. Have a new idle mixture screw and packing in it also.

So, he should have everything he needs to tune it up. The estimate was 2 - 3 hours,... guessing it would be on the lower end of that.

Had an appointment with them to ride it in on Tuesday, get it done, then ride it home the same day. I caught a short call (15 day job or less) out of the hall starting Monday though, so had to drop it off yesterday instead.

Was hoping to learn how to tune this thing. At this point, I am just want to ride! Am interested to know what he finds/installs.

The best I had it running was with a 48 & 185. Smelled REALLY fat, but had the best throttle response across the board, with almost no decel pops, but the 2-3k stutter while holding steady throttle was horrid!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I wonder if he will find your choke barrel/ seal not sealing, unless that carb is cracked somewhere sucking fuel. What a PITA…I could take my carb off and apart in my sleep. Let us know, this is a very informative post and spurred me on to investigate my own carb issues. Thank YOU sir.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I wonder if he will find your choke barrel/ seal not sealing, unless that carb is cracked somewhere sucking fuel. What a PITA…I could take my carb off and apart in my sleep. Let us know, this is a very informative post and spurred me on to investigate my own carb issues. Thank YOU sir.
I doubt it, but anything is possible. The carb was on so tight, I actually had to carefully pry it off with a claw hammer, slowly working from each side then the other. I did not put it back on that tight, but I think I got it sealed.

I'll report back when I know more.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts