V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a dynojet kit in my 04 carbed Fatboy that the previous owner had HD put in when he bought the bike{no thunderslide so spring should be ok}. I'm going to re-jet it and have got my hands on the 46 slow and 190 main{only $1.90 each} but I still need the sporty needle and stock emulsion tube. My friendly neighborhood HD dealer wants $24 for these two little pieces of metal. Is he my only option for these parts or can I buy somewhere else to save a few $? Any help is appreciated.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
:whistle: oh, it will save ya about $2.00. Not a whole lot, but it's something.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, that's where I started was ebay. HD wants $12 for the needle and $12 for the tube. I guess they may be my best bet. The old lady is getting tired of me needing this and needing that for the bike{haha} so every buck counts if you know what I mean. Thanks

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
I was wrong. This is just for the needle only and not the tube. :blink: Sounds like ya might be better off going to the dealer. Got any 20 percent off coupons for your dealer?

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Ask some of the techs. They've probably got a stash of removed stock emulsion tubes.

If the Dynajet kit is setup properly, it will perform as well as the stock setup with the sporty needle. You're probably just re-inventing the wheel.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
fatboy66 said:
Me and a million others then. I'm running way to rich and at 35 mpg I'll try anything.
Then why don't you tune the dynojet kit??? It's a proven setup if tuned properly. Most people including some dealers won't take the time to set it up properly.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You're probably right on that one. I've read up on re-jetting and have the manual but never thought about trying to tune the djet setup. What do I need to do? I'm good with a wrench but first bike so I'm new to it. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Pestilence
2,092 Posts
If you've only got pipes and air cleaner kit, start with the DJ #180 main and put the clip on #3 slot of the needle counting from the top. Leave the #45 slow in for now. Your range on the air mix screw is 1 1/2 to 3 turns from seated.
Go ride.
Start at 1 1/2, if carb backfires after bike is at operating temp richen up the mixture by 1/2 turn counterclockwise.
Your throttle and your butt'll tell you if you're lean in the midrange. If that's the case lift the needle by 1 notch. If it misbehaves throughout the rpms go up one size, #185, on the main.
Be real easy on the carb screws and other parts as you might have to re&re a couple of times.
If you don't wanna do this, take the bike to a dyno shop. Tell the tuner it's air/fuel ratio is what you're after. He'll know what to do.
When that DJ kit is set up right, you'll be getting 40-45mpg along with a healthy dose of torque and ponies.
As Ed said. DJ kit is highly adjustable, you don't just drop in a few parts and expect perfection. Once it's dialed in, you'll swear by it.

Good luck

Pete

·
Fashion Conscious
1,913 Posts
I ended up with a 170 main and the needle in the second notch from the top.
2 turns out on the idle mix screw with a 45 pilot.
This is with the thunderslide kit. Mileage is 40-45 depending on the speed.
Plugs look great, mileage is back. YMMV

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I have bought a honda needle and two for my sleds. Paid $25 each. Hard to beleive how expensive they are. I could find some cheap but not for the models I needed.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
fatboy66 said:
You're probably right on that one. I've read up on re-jetting and have the manual but never thought about trying to tune the djet setup. What do I need to do? I'm good with a wrench but first bike so I'm new to it. Any help would be much appreciated.
Flyer got you going in the right direction. Here's the instructions that came with the kit just for your info. Keep in mind that Dynajet recommends a rich setting to start with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
cv carb re-jetting

Just went to a stage one set-up on my 2001 88 twincam B (Vance & Hines Bigshots with a Hypercharger) the power was great however the bike would pop and burp on De-celeration. So I had my carb re-jetted with a thunderslide setup from a dealer. Picked the bike up today and went for a ride. The same thing was happening. Took it back to the dealer to complain and he said that I might have to put extra baffles in the V & H pipes. Has anyone ever heard of this before?? And what would you suggest to eliminate the poping and backfiring?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've got a 04 fatboy {same motor} with vh bigshots, stage one kit with the new k and n 0800 filter with dynojet kit {yeah I'm the one} and no popping on decel at all. One set of baffles in the pipes, the ones that came with them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I think I'll give the dealer another chance at re-jetting and if that don't work I'll get the remaining jets and try myself. it's not rocket science!!!!

·
Registered
297 Posts
walky111 said:
Just went to a stage one set-up on my 2001 88 twincam B (Vance & Hines Bigshots with a Hypercharger) the power was great however the bike would pop and burp on De-celeration. So I had my carb re-jetted with a thunderslide setup from a dealer. Picked the bike up today and went for a ride. The same thing was happening. Took it back to the dealer to complain and he said that I might have to put extra baffles in the V & H pipes. Has anyone ever heard of this before?? And what would you suggest to eliminate the poping and backfiring?
You may want to check to be sure that you don't have any exhaust leaks where the pipe meets the head. This will cause decel popping. Vance & Hines recommends the Screaming Eagle flat exhaust gaskets, they don't seal as well as the original style..................Bill

1 - 18 of 18 Posts