V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To those of you that have cut down the stock antenna on your FLHX, how much did you cut off of it? I want to cut it down lower but don't want to kill my reception. Any input would be appreciated.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
68 Posts
I use a 2 meter ham radio antenna element. Which is cut for 144 MHz ( approx 12") This will cover both the FM 100 MHz and WB 160 MHz without any loss.

So to answer your question I wouldn't cut it any shorter than 12 inches which is about a 1/4 wave. If you go to short you will get signal loss in rural areas

the formula is 468 divided by the FREQUENCY IN MHZ = LENGTH IN FEET for a full wave length than divide by 4 to get a 1/4 wave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,820 Posts
antenna design theory

I'd suggest you find a friend who is into ham radio. There is a lot of theory that goes into antenna length. Cutting one off could be a disaster. The length of an antenna is directly related to the frequency you are attempting to receive.

I'd do an internet search for ham operators. I know they have a lot of sites. And my experience with hams is that they are all willing to lend assistance is these kind of issues. After all that is their hobby and interest area.

[OPS! I guess I was posting at the same time W4EGV was posting]
 

·
I paid.........did you??
Joined
·
2,301 Posts
hedgehog1 said:
To those of you that have cut down the stock antenna on your FLHX, how much did you cut off of it? I want to cut it down lower but don't want to kill my reception. Any input would be appreciated.
Just go to your local auto parts store and get a 12" flexible antenna, it costs like $10. I still get all my radio stations in with no problems at all, and they look a hell of allot better then the stock whips.

I put a pair on my Ultra........you can see them at the link below.

Steve
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
68 Posts
toybox99615 said:
I'd suggest you find a friend who is into ham radio. There is a lot of theory that goes into antenna length. Cutting one off could be a disaster. The length of an antenna is directly related to the frequency you are attempting to receive.

I'd do an internet search for ham operators. I know they have a lot of sites. And my experience with hams is that they are all willing to lend assistance is these kind of issues. After all that is their hobby and interest area.

[OPS! I guess I was posting at the same time W4EGV was posting]
That was some timing...lol...yes we like antenna theory..I build most of my own anything from yagi's to dipoles..
 

·
'PACKMAN'
Joined
·
240 Posts
shorty antenna

Just received my new shorty antennas for my '05 Ultra....12" for radio; 24" for CB

www.sierra-mc.com

800-338-6938

not sure if it will fit your FLHX, but they'll know.

great reception on the radio still...no change in reception at all.

I still haven't used the CB at all. Guess I'll need to try it out one of these days.

Anyone heard of a headset that can be used without a helmet????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,345 Posts
Freedom Cycle 'no whip' antenna

www.dynasite.net/dynaweb/1000441/ex...&W=STORE&P=N&S=1000441&U=1&SS=1&CR=1&modify=0

I bought a couple of these from 'Freedom Cycle ' . $90.00 us for the pair. One for CB and one for am/fm, weather band. Both are only 15" long and are similar to 'rubber duckies'. I ordered them on a Sun (on-line) and received them the following Thurs. with a note of 'Thank-you' from the owners.
 

·
Forgetter of Things
Joined
·
2,657 Posts
Krayven Sumhead said:
I bought a couple of these from 'Freedom Cycle ' . $90.00 us for the pair.
i'm thinking of getting these...kind of pricey, considering i've seen the radio antenna for only $5-10...
maybe someone out there can find similar one a little cheaper
 

·
'PACKMAN'
Joined
·
240 Posts
shorty antenna

The antennas from Sierra ( www.sierra-mc.com ) were $10 for the radio and $20 for the CB and adaptor. Ordered on Wed...arrived on Fri. And they have all kinds of other electronics for our rides.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for all the technical data but all I want to know is how many inches can I cut off the AM/FM radio antenna on my Streetglide without loosing reception. I just want to keep both of my eyeballs in my head and not skewered on my antenna.
 

·
I paid.........did you??
Joined
·
2,301 Posts
hedgehog1 said:
Thank you for all the technical data but all I want to know is how many inches can I cut off the AM/FM radio antenna on my Streetglide without loosing reception. I just want to keep both of my eyeballs in my head and not skewered on my antenna.
Why cut and ruin your stock antenna when you can buy a 14" rubber flexible replacement one for $10? Just seems like a waste to cut the stock one, take it off and save it just in case you ever sell the bike.

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
hedgehog1 said:
I don't want to cut it down too much. I was thinking of taking 10-12"s off of it. Just enough to get it out of my eyes.
Go ahead and do just what you are talking about doing. Cut it down in size, (not too short) and then just grind or file a bit off the bottom part, just to expose the bare metal, before putting in back in the base. It will work just fine. I have done the same on my FLHX and my Road Glide previously with no problems. Just keep it taller than 12" and you will be fine...............
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12 Posts
Dakota Digital

I installed the Dakota Digital inside my fairing. Works great. Its a amplified electronic antenna. about $80
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
i cut mine in half, still works great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
474 Posts
hedgehog1 said:
I don't want to cut it down too much. I was thinking of taking 10-12"s off of it. Just enough to get it out of my eyes.
on my street glide I cut it off so its about 16" high with no change in reception (don't read to deep into it and cut it off ) I first cut it in half then got brave and wacked it down and it still works great

P.S. don't forget to replace your speakers with a set of HogTunes !!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
There is a formula that the Radio guys know. A friend of mine who is a radio guy was explainning it to me, but I must have ducked when he was talking, because it went right over my head. Anyway he mentioned something about length's in increments of 9 inch's. He recommended that I cut my FLHX antenae to 27" including the base spring. Which I did, it appears to receive the week signals or stations at about the same distance as the stock length, and of course it works fine for the stronger signals or reception.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top