V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished up a customized fat boy rear wheel that is going on my 2002 FXDX.
I picked the wheel up at a swap meet last week for $25.00 because it had the pulley bolts sheared off and some good bangs on the pulley side from the pulley failure. I easy outed the bolts and refinished the rim.
I painted the rim Black to match the bike and it is totally smooth with some tooling on the edges for a sharper look.
I did all of this with a drill press, a machinists vise, and 3" sanding disks for a drill.
What do you think?????

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Not bad. I would like to see it on yer ride. Prob look a lot nicer to me when on your black bike. Hope you cleanned the shitt out of it before paint. In the machine shops they use Diecome markers to write on metal. It comes in diff colors too. It might be cool to use that stuff instead of paint. I am going to cut a pattern in mine on a CNC before I chrome them up.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Yellowfat.
Yeah actually I ground the textured finish completely off and then sanded with 150 grit head to smooth finish. Before primer I used Acetone and scrub brush to prep, then steam washed and then wipe down with acetone again. The paint job came out nearly perfect,,, until a casualty at the bike shop mounting & balancing the tire. They didnt charge me for the mount & Balance but put a good gouge in the finish. Oh well,,, I bought it to ride it anyway. The wheel is mounted on the bike and ready to ride. I'll get the mounted picture tomorrow,,, left the camera at the office.
Thanks for the compliments. The CNC etching should look excellent. I am actually going to sand blast etch a design in the wheel before I RE-Clear coat (got to due to the shop incident) but I got frustrated and mounted it to get a ride or two in before winter tear down for the 95" kit.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Sounds good. Acetone is the stuff. Cleans off everything. Sucks they marked up your shitt. Ya, it's gonna get marked up sooner or later but later would have been better. I have access to some shops so I can do what I want. Fam owned. I used to do tool & die work years back, so I am going to cut out a patern and balance the rim before chrome. I'm looking for some extra rims to do this to so I'll still have a set of stocks. Well the fuken white crap is starting to fall. 12" or so today for me. That means at least a week before I get out again. Post the pic when you can. I think they should look great on yer ride.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Its finally mounted

Heh,,, snowed like H**l today so I guess she wont be rolling anytime soon,,, The camera is a total piece of junk IMO but here are some pics.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:D

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And one more closer up.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Congrats, Very Very nice. I like it a lot. If my ride was black, I would do it in a min. Same shitt here wit the snow. 4"'s already and more to come. Have to fire up the dirt bike and go fuken nuts. If it's the only thing I can ride, I'll ride it. Hope I don't brake my dumb ass head. Got a KZ 250, dam thing has balls to the wall. Big fun. Later

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I hear ya. I have the inclination t go play on the 4 wheeler after the sun sets.
:)
Now if I can convince my bud to bring the damn thing out along with his we will really have a good time. He rides a Polaris 500 sportsman 4wd though, and I run a Timberwolf 250 2wd so I doubt it would even be worth trying to keep paces with him in this mess.
Party ON!!!!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hey Dyna....Turned out really nice! What kind of paint and clear coat did you use. Enamel? FYI my Fatboy is Black. Could be a future project!

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Attitude.
Thanks. Im pleased with the outcome with the exception of the gouges from the mount.
Actually I got the paint from BAPS Auto Paints and my pals and I have done almost all of our custom paints with their product:
Baps Auto Paints & Supply
630 Oak Street
Lemoyne, Pennsylvania 17043
717-737-5511

The Black is a basecoat by Tempo Paints:
No. 865 UNIVERSAL BLEND Tintable Spray canister Tinted to DBU9700 BLACK
(exact match to Harley Black)

The Clear coat is Kar Kraft systems Inc. Acrylic Clear # 639 Spray Canister.

The Tempo spray can has an EXCELLENT nozzle with good fan angle and fine atomization, we (my pals and I) have been using them and are very happy with their pattern and spread, so I figure why dirty up my guns.
The stock nozzle on the clear coat is not so good ( heavy orange peel) so we use the nozzles off the Tempo cans after a wash in acetone and a purge onto white copy paper to be sure the color is out.
I washed the rim with acetone, scrubbed and washed again, then 1 coat high adhesion primer & 1 heavier coat of sandable primer, 2 coats base, 3 coats clear. I wet sanded between all coats after primer stage.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Actually I did considder powdercoating (by Sumax)
If I powdercoated it I would have to claer coat poly the polished and bare alum surfaces anyway or constantly repolish, brush them to keep em shiny. I opted to forego the expense of the powdercoat since the clearcoat would require attention no matter what. Also, if and WHEN the painted area needs recoat or touch up (note gouge during mount) I am fully equipped to address this issue with an airbrush. If I powdercoat and the finish started to hassle me (keep in mind the NEED for clear on the same surface) I would have a complete refinish to look forward to.
Its a first run for me so I'll just have to see how it fares.

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
Looks awesome !!! So a fatboy rear wheel fits ? I was thinking about aftermarket wheels but that really looks good. My FXD is sliver, so would a factory Alum fatboy wheel "bolt on" an '01?

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Hab.
Yep,,, the fatty is direct swap. Just gotta make sure the Fat Boy wheel is LATE bearing style and from there its a direct bolt on exact fit. Im not sure but I think its 2000 and later when they changed out the bearings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The wheel is a bolt on. For an '01 you need to make sure u get a ball bearing wheel. I think it's 99 and earlier that use tapered roller brgs. Check out my homepage http://metlmunchr.home.pipeline.com/_wsn/page2.html for a look at how we can CNC turn and polish a fatboy wheel. Click any pic for a larger view, and if you're interested, email me at [email protected] Makes a good looking wheel for a whole lot less than even cast aftermarket wheels.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts