V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, was talking to a friend of mine this evening, and was talking about what I wanted to do to my bike. I mentioned that I ordered a new front fender, and wanted to get it painted. I also mentioned that I wanted to get some custom paint done on it, and then in time, to other parts also. Basically I want to paint the new parts the same vivid black the bike is, and get some white hot flames painted on the bike also. But, I was going to do it in steps as money became avalible and so on. Was going to start with the new front fender, and then onto a new stretched headlight I am waiting on (want to paint it, not chrome), then to new rear fender and extended hard bags, and eventually to gas tank.

Now my friend said I was stupid for doing that, and that I should get the custom graphics all done at the same time, other wise, the paints may not match and so on.

I wanted to see if you guys thought that he was right, and I should wait to get the graphics done all at once? of can it be done in stages like I was thinking, working with the same painter?

If I shouldnt do it in stages, can I paint and clear coat the new parts, and then go back over them later with the graphics? I'm trying to do this in steps, when money becomes avalible, and still keep the bike in a riding condition.

hope all this makes sense, thanks for any input.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I personally would paint all the parts with basecoat and clearcoat first. Do all your graphics at the same time. Aside for the paint being hard to match, and if you have enough paint it will, assuming you don't do something like metal flake or pearl. BUT, if the same artist does flames at different times, the layout will be different. Perhap subtly, but different, nonetheless.

basecoat/clear
ride and save for awhile
flames
ride

·
Registered
71 Posts
Jeff,

I agree with Bot. As long as you aren't doing any flake or kandy work, you should be fine. However, it would always be safest to do it all at once.

Jacob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts