V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody looked at the new custom paint job H-D is offering for the V-Rod (it's just come out on their website - not the red on red). $2500 for a five piece set. How can they charge that much money and not include the radiator cowlings, headlight and speedometer? I know it's a limited edition of 200 but still I think it's way overpriced?!?! I think the bike looks so incomplete with a paint job that doesn't include all the grey parts. I also think that if you are going to paint the bike you should paint the frame as well.
What's the experience been with custom jobs. Do you think they devalue the bike even if the are good?

·
Registered
477 Posts
PAINT

I painted my 2002 rod 2 months after purchasing it new. I did fenders, airbox cover, instrument binnicle, headlight nacele, radiator sidecovers, and side vent covers, looks damn good black, get lots of positive comments. Original looks good, just too much silver. As far as frame, mine looks good, contrasting with black. I've seen em with HD's custom shop paint, looks kinda funny with just fenders and airbox, like its incomplete paint job. If a person was going that route, I'd have the other parts painted with base color to match custom shop paint. But then again, at $1800-2500 for HD stuff, you can get one hell of a full custom paint job by a professional painter and have all the pieces done properly, but you do not have spare original skin. I don't regret at all painting it black, it just looks too good. As far as value, it appears the VROD markups have toppled anyways. Now maybe a 2003 aniversary model skin I wouldn't adulterate........

·
Registered
99 Posts
The outragous Dealer charges are just that.......outragous!! The paint quaity is excellent but with the incomplete set it just doenst look right.
The Alluminum is one of the things that originally caught my attn. but after having it for a few months and realizing that it was just one of the same i felt the need to paint it.
Mine too is Black but i have marbleized silver Tribal graffix / flames that are outlined in purple. Its a custom paint job and i get compliments everywhere i go. I cannot say enough about the quality of the job. It looks unbelievable......so deep and smooth!
One of the cool things is that i got to watch the whole process from begining to end with the paint guy. (he is a friend that i went to highschool with and this is what he does for a living now) I got to see all the different stages.....Etching primer (for annozided alluminum), intercoat clear, black paint, 2 coats of intercoat clear, graffix application, cool to see this done, 3-4 more coats of intercoat clear (wetsanding between coats too), Pinstriping around graffix and then i dont know how many final coats of a Flow Coat clear! When you feel it you cannot feel any lines or bumps in the graffix or pinstriping. Then they got wetsanded and buffed. Buffing was something of a challange. These parts are so light that they would fly around if the buffer ever caught an edge. He came up with some pretty good ideas. Rear Fender.....screwed thru one of the open holes at the top into a cardboard box to hold in place, Airbox cover....screwed down thur latch assembly, and the side radiator covers he hot glued the inside to a cardboard box and taped the box down. Ive taken some digital pics but dont really like how they came out. Ive got plenty on film but no scanner so as soon as i get one oline i will post it.
Its definalty not the same ole cookie cutter version anymore!

BTW: i didnt want to alter the original sheetmetal so i purchased a complete set of new sheetmetal to paint.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CW-VRod,

Let's go - post those pics. I'm sure they're fine and I want to see this bike.
What do you think it would cost for that kind of paint job?

Peter

·
Registered
99 Posts
Bermuda,

Im looking into borrowing a digital camera and getting some online....i will asap.
As far as the cost of this paint job? Im not 100% sure but id have to say anywhere between 1800-2200. (Its not exactly what i paid for it! Thank god for friends!) and the cost of the sheetmetal was just above $800.00.
If i had to pay full price it would be more expensive than the HD parts.

One other thing......when i first painted it i never even thought to paint the louvered covers just below the tank. I was thinking of Chroming them but decided to go with paint on them too.........they are currently at the shop getting done now!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Paint job

I got a great deal, or at least I feel I did. My painter painted 9 pieces, airbox cover, both fenders, radiator sides, louvered vent covers, and upper and lower instrument binnicles. He used the etching primer, black base coats, clear on top, with a VROD design airbrushed on airbox cover below the several coats of clear. All except louvered vent panels were wet sanded, buffed to a water smooth deep gloss. It was tricky buffing them, they are very light and delicate, especially radiator sides. 80% of the buff out was done by hand due to their delicate nature. He charged me $600. I removed all the skin and reinstalled them. Ran switches wiring thru the bars while I had it apart too. And I sanded, painted headlight bucket black too. If I ever get my neighbor's digital camera from him like he said, I'll post some pics.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Polizzio,

The bike looks great. What's that thing hanging below the seat on the left hand side?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Thanks Bermuda,

Its a leather bag, held on with 2 tie wraps. HDs still have no where to carry anything onboard! That bag rode 3 years on the springer of my late 95 Badboy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts