V-Twin Forum banner

Which of the 5 finalists in the Crystal-Glo Photo Contest is your favorite?

• The Good, The Bad, The Ugly by Hercrat

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Shovelhead by Bowman1964

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Col D'Iseran by Matty

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Badlands at Sunset by Rocket Jockey

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • 2005 SoftTail Deluxe by HD-Lux

Votes: 31 56.4%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I would like to thank everybody that participated in Crystal-Glo's photo contest. Mr. Hurt announced the 5 finalists for voting by the VTF members. This poll will run for 7 days from today and the 1st, 2nd and 3rd places announced the 23rd of November. We had to adjust the dates since he was out of town on business.

Appreciate everybody's support. Please go to the Photo Gallery to view the entries and make your vote in this thread.

Congrats to the finalists and good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
I had it narrowed down to the badlands at sunset and the softail deluxe...What clinched it for me, was the upward angle shot of the deluxe. It really helped catch the light on the paint and provided an interesting perspective.

·
Hardass
547 Posts
Personally, I don't think it is even a contest. HD-Lux's shot has them all beat by a large margin. I don't think Mr. Hurt is particularly qualified to be selecting best photos based upon these selections. Sure, the bikes are cool, and there are even a couple of interesting backgrounds, but overall, none of the images "Pop" out at you, other than HD-Lux's. Overall, I must say I am a little disappointed in the final selections. I had hoped to see some better images make the cut.

On a side note, it'd be nice if this thread had links to the finalist photos. I found it somewhat difficult to locate each of the five finalist photos for evaluation. It'd be a lot easier to either link to each, or, to a seperate page that had the five shots grouped together.

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Lardog said:
Personally, I don't think it is even a contest. HD-Lux's shot has them all beat by a large margin. I don't think Mr. Hurt is particularly qualified to be selecting best photos based upon these selections. Sure, the bikes are cool, and there are even a couple of interesting backgrounds, but overall, none of the images "Pop" out at you, other than HD-Lux's. Overall, I must say I am a little disappointed in the final selections. I had hoped to see some better images make the cut.

On a side note, it'd be nice if this thread had links to the finalist photos. I found it somewhat difficult to locate each of the five finalist photos for evaluation. It'd be a lot easier to either link to each, or, to a seperate page that had the five shots grouped together.
Trying not to sound like a sore loser but those were the exact same thoughts I had as I read this follow-up

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
I think this photo contest is an excellent idea. It is good for the members, this forum and the sponsors. I have enjoyed the buzz it has stirred up.

I hope VTF will encourage and or devise more activities of this nature in the future.

As with any competition, there can very easily be hard feelings or a few disappointments. I just hope that we all can keep it cool and not spoil it for future contests.

Congratulations to the finalists, thank you to our sponsors and a big hug to our leader and role model, D. Price.

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
Thanks all for the comments. I've been trying hard to stay out of this until a winner is selected. But so far I've had fun following this competition and watching what people post.

Photographing a Harley is both easy and hard though. Easy 'cause for the most part they are rolling art and pointing a camera at one usually turns up something stirring. Hard too 'cause it's not always easy to get a picture that embodies the soul and produces an immediate feeling of unity from the bike. When the composition, angle, lighting, background, reflection and subject all come together sometimes something magical happens and the parts add up to more than their sum. Here's one on the VTF that did not make it into the competition but I thought it was a great picture for showing off a detailed bike (paint, shine, chrome, lighting, etc.). If the backdrop was all wooden fence I think you'd have a magazine cover. It’s pictures like these that create a feeling. This is bimmer10's 96' Fatboy.

·
Banned
202 Posts
DPrice said:
...Appreciate everybody's support. Please go to the Photo Gallery to view the entries and make your vote in this thread...
This isn't really a fair voting strategy because only paying members are able to vote and remain anonymous.

·
Hardass
547 Posts
98RKC said:
Trying not to sound like a sore loser...
I was trying very hard not to come off that way as well, while still conveing my point. I hope I succeeded.

I agree wholeheartedly with Popeye, I think this was a great idea and I'd like to see more of these in the future, sponsored or otherwise.

Thanks for the links DPrice. Hopefully, it will make it easier for others to express their votes. And don't worry, my comments were certainly not aimed at you. I appreciate everything you do to keep this place running. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Like HD-LUX, I was going to keep my yap shut but....like Ron White said, when he was arrested he was given the right to remain silent, he just didn't have the ability!!!

I commend any sponsor that takes enough interest in the forum to offer a contest. I hope he enjoys it as much as the forum enjoys the opportunity to show off our bikes. Lardog I know you didn't mean anything negative but I think as long as it is his contest, he should be able to pick the bikes he wants and considering all of the great entries, I am sure getting it to the final five was not an easy task for him either....I wouldn't want that task.

As far as Harley pictures, I actually have pictures that make my bike look better. The picture I submitted is my favorite because of the memories it evokes. I am glad that so many others enjoy it on its face value and I appreciate the positive feedback.

I do have one complaint.....I think HD-LUX's picture should be disqualified...it is just looks too damn good to be fair to the rest of us!!!

Peace

·
Registered
507 Posts
Rocket Jockey said:
I do have one complaint.....I think HD-LUX's picture should be disqualified...it is just looks too damn good to be fair to the rest of us!!!

Peace
:roflback:

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
Rocket Jockey said:
Like HD-LUX, I was going to keep my yap shut but....like Ron White said, when he was arrested he was given the right to remain silent, he just didn't have the ability!!!

I commend any sponsor that takes enough interest in the forum to offer a contest. I hope he enjoys it as much as the forum enjoys the opportunity to show off our bikes. Lardog I know you didn't mean anything negative but I think as long as it is his contest, he should be able to pick the bikes he wants and considering all of the great entries, I am sure getting it to the final five was not an easy task for him either....I wouldn't want that task.

As far as Harley pictures, I actually have pictures that make my bike look better. The picture I submitted is my favorite because of the memories it evokes. I am glad that so many others enjoy it on its face value and I appreciate the positive feedback.

Peace
Well said Rocket Jockey. Another RG rider with class.

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Lardog said:
I was trying very hard not to come off that way as well, while still conveing my point. I hope I succeeded.
Perfectly:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
There was a great article in American Iron magazine once about how to take professional quality pictures of your bike. I read it and even remembered some of the suggestions, but unfortunately the light wasn't very good when I shot mine....but I had just detailed the bike and wanted to get the pics taken before it got dirty again. I've got better pics that still need developing.

HDLux just did the best job of capturing the light and providing and interesting angle. Theres no one to blame but the photographers of each of their own bikes, for not doing as good of a job.

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
Well,

I couldn't even get a photo into the contest due to my own incompetence

So please pass the tissues so I can dry my tears.....

Oh sorry, I have been really working hard on my new mission of catching my self, pro-actively, each and every time I find myself starting to act like a child.

I like HD-lux photo and his video too.......congrats on your apparent success

I do hope that more than 40 people vote....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks!

Just wanted to take this opportunity to congratulate the winners and thank everyone who voted for me. Heck.....I consider myself lucky just to make it into the finals with all those great pictures out there!
It's obvious there are a lot of bikes out there not suffering from lack of TLC.
Ride on......:chopper:

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1st Place....HD-Lux
2nd Place...Rocket Jockey
3rd Place....Bowman 1964

Please email me your mailing details so that I can pass them on to our Sponsor for your awards.

A big thank you to everyone that participated in this contest!

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
Thanks to all VTFers who took part, posted all the great pics, voted, commented, or just watched from the sidelines.

I think we got some great entries and I for one had a blast following along. To all the Northern Virginia Delinquents, agree on a day and I'll shine up everyone's ride. We'll get some pictures and send them off to Crystal Glo with our thanks.

PS: And before ya PM me, yeah, I'm kidding about polishing up yer rides. I know we could never all agree on one time and place. Like John's helmet says: "Organizing bikers is like herding cats." Is it sad that I get all my moral proverbs off of helmet stickers now? I got a problem.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts