V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a buddy who added cruise control to his 2001 Road King. He says it was the best thing he ever added to his bike. Do most forum users agree? I am thinking of getting cruise added to my '06 Street Glide based on his recommendation.

My question is do any other companies make cruise control modules for our bikes or are we stuck with the HD unit?

Dealers are quoting 3 hours to install the cruise control. Is that about accurate on the '06? How long would it take the average person to do the install? I figure if the dealer takes 3 hours it would take me at least 6 hours...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Had mine installed on an '05 FLHTI and it took about 2 1/2 hours. Very glad to have it and wish they would put one on a Sportster. Wife wants a Sporty and REALLY wants cruise on it.

·
40 Posts
I had the C/C installed on my Street Glide and I am very happy with it, particularly because I have arthritis and tendonitis in my hands and it really helps on long runs. My dealer charged me two hours.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Motown_LEO said:
I've got a buddy who added cruise control to his 2001 Road King. He says it was the best thing he ever added to his bike. Do most forum users agree? I am thinking of getting cruise added to my '06 Street Glide based on his recommendation.

My question is do any other companies make cruise control modules for our bikes or are we stuck with the HD unit?

Dealers are quoting 3 hours to install the cruise control. Is that about accurate on the '06? How long would it take the average person to do the install? I figure if the dealer takes 3 hours it would take me at least 6 hours...
I wouldn't really ask the question are we stuck with the HD unit. I have it on my o6 Ultra and love it. It works just like the cruise in my car. It would be money well spent

·
Just a kid at heart
597 Posts
Cruise control comes standard on the Roadglide. It was great having it on 3 Flags this year.
:clap:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Motown_LEO said:

when you ride alone it is great. If your riding with a group and your not the lead bike its a pain because their speed keeps changing.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Greatest feature ever!! Stock on Raod Glide and even if I was gonna consider another bike(that street glide is a nice bike...) It would have to have cruise before I took it from the dealer. Mandatory in my book!

·
Sofa King
248 Posts
I agree mandatory for long trips. Bought the Road King over the Fat Boy I had wanted for many many years for this simple reason.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I called every dealer in the Metro-Detroit area to get their labor costs... Amazing that every single dealer quoted a different labor time to install the unit. From 5 hours to 1.5 hours.

Basically the lowest installation cost came from a dealer I've never gone to before but in the future will have all my service done from them before. If you're in the area and care that dealer is Detroit Harley Davidson.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
You can't go wrong with the cruise control. Worth the money spent. Mine only took 2 hours to install from the local dealer.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Dito

eglide1 said:
when you ride alone it is great. If your riding with a group and your not the lead bike its a pain because their speed keeps changing.
First experience on more than short rides using CC was a tour with 20 bikes. Almost impossible to run wit the pack as the leader kept going up and down in speed by 10 kph. On-the-other-hand when I was cruising by myself I liked the ability to keep my hand off the throttle for a few seconds every now and then. I'd rate the CC as a great option. But not one you just have to have.

·
'05 Road King Classic
806 Posts
Cruise control high quality

OldMsocko said:
I wouldn't really ask the question are we stuck with the HD unit. I have it on my o6 Ultra and love it. It works just like the cruise in my car. It would be money well spent
I agree, the cruise works very well indeed. I believe that the cruise control module/electronics/logic/whatever was developed with Volvo or SAAB or somebody like that. In anycase, it's a quality unit in my opinion.

Dennis E.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
toybox99615 said:
First experience on more than short rides using CC was a tour with 20 bikes. Almost impossible to run wit the pack as the leader kept going up and down in speed by 10 kph. On-the-other-hand when I was cruising by myself I liked the ability to keep my hand off the throttle for a few seconds every now and then. I'd rate the CC as a great option. But not one you just have to have.
Guess you just need to get out in front and be the pack leader!

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
LazyLion said:
Had mine installed on an '05 FLHTI and it took about 2 1/2 hours. Very glad to have it and wish they would put one on a Sportster. Wife wants a Sporty and REALLY wants cruise on it.
Don't think there is gonna be electronic cruise control on Sportsters for a while. They do have the star nut tho.......and the 'Throttlemate' hooks onto the 'star' wheel. The 'star' works fine unless you've got on a pair of heavy gloves.

http://www.throttlemate.com

·
Live Now - Go For It
89 Posts
Just a thought

If your thinking about adding the cruise control, also think about new handlebars, switch houses, heated grips and etc. Anytime you are doing any kind of upgrade always price out the extras that tie into that area of the scooter as the labor is basically free as the dealer is making the original changes.

Cruise control is awesome for any ride that keeps you on the highway between fuel stops. I only wish MoCo would install cruise control on all FL scooters.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Its actually an easy install. The directions are pretty good and all the parts plug and play. I am not a wrench by trade, but the directions for the install don't require any special skills or tools. Think I spent a 30 min. reading the directions and following the flow on the bike until I understood how to hook it up. Then about 45 mins. for the actual install.

Bike without cruise control? No way, hated the star, the roads around here have to many hills, I was either adjusting because I was going to fast, or too slow.

·
Registered
47 Posts
So can the factory style cruise control be installed in the 2006 RoadKing Custom?
I am looking at the Custom and Classic right now and thats one of the differences between the two.

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
see where he's from?

Motown_LEO said:
Guess you just need to get out in front and be the pack leader!
I see that toybox99615 is from Alaska and I'm sure that he knows - If your not the lead dog, the view never changes! :brows:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I added cruise to my '05 EG Classic when I bought it. After riding a low Rider for years where my only for m of "cruise Control" was the Death Star friction nut, electronic cruise was a must have item. It works great. Took my local dealer 2 hours to install.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts