V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The cruise control on my 02 road king (EFI) has started disengaging after a few minutes of being on. It doesn't slip or surge, just totally disengages (like if I hit the brake). If I push reset it reengages for a while then seems to disengage again. It seemed as though it happened more often when i hit bumps in the freeway, but not sure (when there is traffic I don't use it all that much, mostly to stretch arms, and there is constant traffic from LA to Las Vegas).

Added new handlebars and braided lines a few weeks ago, I think it worked fine afterwords, but hadn't used it a great deal. Also, although this probably has nothing to do with it, the throttle effort (to roll on) seems lighter w/ the new stuff, again, not positive.

Is there any adjustment which could cause this? The shop which installed the "stuff" is very willing to look at it, but I'm sure they don't have much experience with cruise. The factory warranty is still in effect, but my limited experience is that the dealers/MoCo don't try real hard to fix this type of stuff under warranty, unless the system is totally broke.

Any thoughts or ideas??

thx, greg

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If you changed bars there are two places to check, the front brake lite switch and the roll off switch.
If the throttle cables are not adjusted just right this will happen and the front brake lite switch may have moved in the housing if the lever was not depressed when removing the controls.
You have to follow the throttle cable adjustment sequence of the Ultra as opposed to the one for the Road King if you have cruise control.

The ETFM has a troubleshooting sequence if these two things do not resolve it, sort of a self diagnostic mode.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks HIPPO, is this something a novice could try i.e. me)? The shop that did the work seems to focus more on older Harleys, but I'm sure they would try to fix it, is the throttle cable sequence for the Ultra something a local shop is likely to know?

thx, greg

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
It's in the service manual. the rolloff switch is on the right side of the frame by the tank and if the return cable is adjusted on the tight side it will cause intermittent disengagement.
If the brake lites have a hair trigger response from the lever then this is suspect.
Maybe have a friend follow you and see if when the cruise disengages when hitting a bump the brake lite tends to flash.
This is assuming it is related to the work done as it usually is.

·
Registered
272 Posts
My cruise works OK, but surges like the throttle is on a rubber band. Any dip or bump make it goosie like you're givin it the gas and lettin off. Any ideas??

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've got an 02 Roadglide, I had that happened to me a couple of times on the interstate and it also completely stopped working during a rain storm. It's working fine now, the dealer couldn't find anything wrong.

cj

·
Registered
305 Posts
gbenner,

If you need the cable adjustment procedure for an 02 Ultra from the service manual I'd be happy to scan and e-mail it to you.

Cold Rider

·
Registered
130 Posts
This may sound simplistic, but I was riding with cruise yesterday and hit a good bump in the road... thought about this thread... my natural tendency is to squeeze the grips (Hanging on for dear life?) and that action caused me to slightly twist the throttle in the off position, which is a normal cause for disengagement... which is exactly what it did.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cold Rider, if you would be willing to scan and E mail, i'd really appreciate it, thx.

Muthuh, thats actually what it felt like. Finally took hand off throttle and it still happened though.

Actually quit working entirely yesterday on ride from Vegas to Reno? I think HIPPO has the right diagnostic, will check out as soon as I get back to LA.

greg

·
Registered
305 Posts
GBenner, This happened to me with my cruise control - perhaps it'll work for you.

My cruise was intermittenly cutting out like yours - kind of when it wanted to. First thing I did was to unplug the wires from the roll-off switch and reattach them with some dielectric grease to make sure they made good contact - POOF-problem fixed. You never know you know.

Give me your e-mail addy and I'll scan and send that cable adjustment procedure to you.

Cold Rider

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
dielectric grease, good stuff. I use it on all electrical connections, including lightbulbs(makes them easier to remove a year or two later).

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
BoomBoom, that's usually one of two things, either the cable is too tight or too loose or it has a intermittent loss of speed signal (speed sensor, speedo or module).

Make sure the bike does not surge at the same speed under the same conditions with the cruise disengaged, if you have a lean spot it will affect the cruise.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Greg - check your e-mail. Files are real big for a two page attachment??? I sent it to you twice, once all together, then as separate pages.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cold Rider, received both, thanks a million. i will give it a try asap, and let you know.

regards, greg

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hippo, it doesn't do any of that stuff disengaged, feels and functions perfectly. I'll check the cable and see what's up, I usually keep all the slop out my throttle.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
That may have something to do with it, I like my bikes that way too, but the EFI baggers with all the toys like a little slop here and there particularly as components age.
There is also a sequence to initialize the cruise cable and if the cable has stretched a little it may help to do it over.

Harley and precision are mutually exclusive, hard to do for a machinist but it's the way it goes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts