V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
01 FLHTC with a new cruise control that seems to begin surging at 67mph and above. The higher the
speed, the more I feel the surging up and down. At 75, it is extremely annoying. All cables are routed correctly and I performed the calibration many times. Any thoughts?
Brian

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
On the new bikes the cruise control has a self diagnostic mode you enter with the ignition switch and set/resume switch and it flashes the codes with the cruise light. Some codes can only be read with the scanalizer, but it is a good initial test.

If the system has been initialized several times so as to eliminate a tight cruise cable, the only thing you can do on your own is to remove the speed sensor on top of the gearbox and clean the metal shavings off it, and see if it helps.
Generally the cause for surging is either a intermittent speed signal, a defective speedo (intermittent signal from speedo to CC module), wiring between speedo and CC module or a defective CC module.

It would be reasonable to assume by your description that the engine runs just fine when attempting to maintain the same steady speed manually. Is this the case?
If not, surging due to lean running MAY be much more noticeable when using CC, due to the natural tendency of the rider to compensate with the throttle.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If this means it is an out of the box unit and never worked properly it would change things a bit. The routing of the cruise cable is extremely critical, as is lubrication of the throttle and return cables. Maybe even more so on EFI bikes as the return springs on the throttle bodies seem to be stiffer then on stock carburetors, but can happen on either and is a recurring problem on bikes with Mikuni's. The stepper motor only has so much power, and if there is the slightest amount of binding in the cables it will tend to surge. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry I didn't post this sooner but the problem was corrected by another cruise module.
Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts