V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I read, it's going to be quite difficult to add cruise-control to my 2000 FLTR. The Harley system needs an additional wiring harness that has been discontinued. And a throttle lock just isn't a viable option. I thought I had a solution with Custom Chrome's EZ Cruise, which is an add-on electronic cruise that functions similar to the factory stuff, but the model I need has also been discontinued. I'm open to all suggestions.
-Orion

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the input, but I really want something that will maintain a constant speed, not a constant throttle position. The wrist cramps aren't really a big deal, it's the fact that I won't always be worrying about if I'm speeding or not, so I can spend more time concentrating on the road, you know, SIPDE and all. The same reason I want a GPS that will talk to me instead of having to watch the screen.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
With a little ingenuity, you can make up the wirng you need to install the HD cruise control. A friend of mine did it for his 99 EG.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Ed, I think I might be able to handle some wiring and such. Is there a way you could give me more info on fabbing it up myself, or possibly put me in touch with your buddy?

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I'll put you in touch with him. Give me a chance to get hold of him. He lives in the Chicago area. I'll send you a PM when I get his email address.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello i put electric cruise on my 01 standard, not pre wired, i have a cruise switch on the dash , works just like hd. cost 100-120.00,if you do not use the roll off cable, it will cost about 100.00

Bill

·
47,503 and adding
193 Posts
I have an 01 std as well. HD never had one for this year. Could you enlighten me as to what you did. Also, are you carb'd or EFI? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Thanks for calling me a friend ED!;)
I put a cruise on my 99. I got an older unit witch I think was from a 96 or 97. It was a kit that included the cruise module. It also included a wiring harness which I chose not to use because the connectors were all different. It did also include an set / resume switch and the roll off cable. However most of the cables had to be substituted with the parts that matched my 99. I also purchased an ultra overlay cable.
I went to a dealer and found an old wiring diagram from the year the kit was from and compared it to my 99 diagram. I found out that the wiring colors matched and the cruise module was the same so I got the rest of the parts I needed and put it together. After I got it together it did NOT work. So I used the trouble shooting process in the manual and found out the set/resume switch was bad. I replaced that and the cruise started working. And it has worked trouble free for almost 4 years now. I got the kit free from a dealer that was going to through it away. The rest of the parts cost about $200.00 so that is what I have into this control. And I have never regretted doing it. Sure is nice to run 80MPH with out hanging on to the throttle.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
No problem, Rick. Us old farts with the 99 models have got to stick together. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Do ya spose they will ever die!!! LOL

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
My buddy has a '99 EGlide Classic. He used the parts manual and bought everything for the Ultra of that year to install the factory cruise. He said it cost him a boat load to do it but he said it was worth every penny. He also installed the intercom system and rear speakers. Had to send his radio to H-D for some kind of upgrade. The only reason he didn't buy an Ultra is he didn't want EFI.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Let me know what you did, my wife has an 01 EG Classic, carb Mikuni and wants me t oget her one but H/D does not stock the module and seperate peices are $750.00

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Try Cruisemount; he makes the harness, etc. Here's a link to the website:

http://cruisemount.com/roadking.html

He fabbed a harness for my police model EG and it works great. His website will tell you what you need for HD cruise to work on your '99. If I read his website correctly, his harness will cost $150 and you use a current model HD cruise unit. HTH.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts