V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
Anyone use a Cruise Buddy? http://www.mcgcustom.com/ Does it work well? Or can anyone recommend another type of throttle lock or cruise control device that works well? I've been using the stock throttle lock occasionally, but :eek: had a little incident (nothing a little bleach can't remove) and I was looking for something more reliable...easier to use.


-mark-
SFBAYAREA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
684 Posts
Way to much money!
For that price, you could buy ISO grips with the throttle boss, or for $10 buy one of the clipon t-bosses.

The ISO grips from Kuryakn (sp?) are actually cheaper than this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Straydog,

Yes Kuryakyn does make the throttle boss, which attaches to the ISO grips. I had that on my last bike. I’m actually looking for something so I can take my hand off the grip on longer rides to let my fingers stretch a bit. Something that would mimic cruise control.

-mark-
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
28 Posts
Why don't you just get the stock electronic cruise control unit for your bikes?
You will spend a some money but you will have an actual cruise control instead of a "want-to-be
jims"
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,469 Posts
jims said:
Why don't you just get the stock electronic cruise control unit for your bikes?
You will spend a some money but you will have an actual cruise control instead of a "want-to-be
jims"
Not all bikes have a Cruise control option.
 

·
The Best Me I Can Be
Joined
·
22,777 Posts
Yikes, I saw $90 also. J&P has a little plastic thumb lever, for just a few bucks, that fits around the stock plastic star type thumb screw. Ends up working identically to the way this gizmo does, 1/4 turn lock and 1/4 turn release. I put one on a couple of weeks ago. I especially like it for morning warm-up.

Joe
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,067 Posts
arjonaut said:
Yikes, I saw $90 also. J&P has a little plastic thumb lever, for just a few bucks, that fits around the stock plastic star type thumb screw. Ends up working identically to the way this gizmo does, 1/4 turn lock and 1/4 turn release. I put one on a couple of weeks ago. I especially like it for morning warm-up.

Joe
No, it does NOT work identically to the simple star wheel add on. In order for the star wheel to engage in 1/4 turn, it needs to have the friction shoe already in a bit of contact, meaning its never fully disengaged. The cruise buddy actually ramps up faster so in that 1/4 flip of the switch it engages the shoe as if the star wheel were turned several times as much...and when its released, it completely releases the shoe tension on the throttle grip.

I've read some members reviews (like John Morton's) in which they had great praise for this little device. It may be great, but for its price, I've decided it will stay a little farther down on the "priority" list for a while. If they dropped the price to $50.00 I bet they'd sell four times as much...$90.00 seems way steep for such a simple dooickey.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
202 Posts
$7.00 vs $90 :hmmm:

$7.00 vs $50 :hmmm:

Both does the same thing basiclly - lets you take your hand off of the throttle so you can get some feeling back into it.
 

·
scooter coot
Joined
·
321 Posts
I put a $10.00 throttle boss on my EG and it works great.:thumbsup: Gives me a chance to stretch the old digits on those longer jaunts.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,644 Posts
I got throttle rocket 2, $10. Been using it for a year. Plastic tabs velcros on grip. Your palm is control throttle. Nice on hills when you got front break on.
 

·
The Best Me I Can Be
Joined
·
22,777 Posts
Seahag said:
No, it does NOT work identically to the simple star wheel add on. In order for the star wheel to engage in 1/4 turn, it needs to have the friction shoe already in a bit of contact, meaning its never fully disengaged. The cruise buddy actually ramps up faster so in that 1/4 flip of the switch it engages the shoe as if the star wheel were turned several times as much...and when its released, it completely releases the shoe tension on the throttle grip.
Man, when I tighten mine that 1/4 turn, it holds the throttle. When I loosen it that 1/4 turn, it doesn't hold the throttle. In fact, if I loosen it 1/8 turn, it doesn't hold the throttle. Also, both the stock throttle lock and the cruise buddy have the same threads, don't they? They're screwed into the same piece, aren't they? I'm cornfused. Could you enlighten me please?

Joe
 

·
The Best Me I Can Be
Joined
·
22,777 Posts
arjonaut said:
Man, when I tighten mine that 1/4 turn, it holds the throttle. When I loosen it that 1/4 turn, it doesn't hold the throttle. In fact, if I loosen it 1/8 turn, it doesn't hold the throttle. Also, both the stock throttle lock and the cruise buddy have the same threads, don't they? They're screwed into the same piece, aren't they? I'm cornfused. Could you enlighten me please?

Joe
Well, when I actually LOOKED at the thing, it turns not quite 1/2 turn. The throttle cables act as stops. It still works great though. Still don't get the thread pitch thing.

Joe
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,067 Posts
arjonaut said:
Man, when I tighten mine that 1/4 turn, it holds the throttle. When I loosen it that 1/4 turn, it doesn't hold the throttle. In fact, if I loosen it 1/8 turn, it doesn't hold the throttle. Also, both the stock throttle lock and the cruise buddy have the same threads, don't they? They're screwed into the same piece, aren't they? I'm cornfused. Could you enlighten me please?

Joe
From what I can make of the cruise buddy without tearing one apart, the reason why it gets so much engagement with a short turn is because it has a two part barrel. The outer sleeve has the same threads as the stock throttle lock but the part that actually raises and lowers on the cruise buddy is inside the outer sleeve....it raises at a much faster rate than the thread pitch alone...allowing for more positive engagement in a short throw.

They've got one in the display case at my local dealer so I've gotten a pretty good look at them. It looks like a great idea...but worth $90.00?...not unless you have more disposable income than I do.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,593 Posts
Dad has one on both his and mom's bike. I've had the chance to use it and it is definitly nice. Extremely secure feel, and really easy to use... even with gloves on. I'll probably be getting one for my bike eventually. I do think he said he had found it for 50 somewhere though. I'll ask him.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,067 Posts
niget2002 said:
Dad has one on both his and mom's bike. I've had the chance to use it and it is definitly nice. Extremely secure feel, and really easy to use... even with gloves on. I'll probably be getting one for my bike eventually. I do think he said he had found it for 50 somewhere though. I'll ask him.

For $50.00 I'd probably buy....please find out where he got his.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top