V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all.

I have often heard the comment made about solid wheels (ala my V-Rod) that they can be a bear in a strong crosswind. Well, the weather has been fairly nice here the past few days (~60F) and I've been getting in as many miles as I can. Having a blast. Anyway, Friday night the wind was really howling. According to my weather station it was 30mph gusting 38+. I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to check it out for myself.

The wind was pretty much outta the due south, so I started heading directly into it on a wide open highway south of my town. Cruising at 70+ it was a bit uncomfortable but no big deal considering that I had a relative wind of 100+mph in my face. No control problems to speak of, just windy. I then made a ninety degree left turn to the east following another rural highway. The road ran due east for a good ten miles so I had the opportunity to really check out the direct crosswind. My first impression was that it was much more comfortable with the strong wind coming from my side as opposed to head on. One problem though, the wind kept my right nostril blown closed. :) Other than that it was no problem. The wind did require a somewhat noticeable lean to the right (upwind) to counteract the crosswind, but it was not uncomfortable and pretty much an instinctive response, certainly nothing that required any amount of concentration to maintain. I didn't really notice any control issues at all. It was a bit weird when I'd pass a treeline which blocked the wind for a second. At those points it was necessary to take out the crosswind correction for an instant and then put it back in as soon as the obstruction was passed. But I certainly never felt anything even remotely worrisome.

So, I guess my question is this. Have any of you guys and/or gals ever had to deal with a crosswind that caused you concern for your safety? Assuming that the crosswind isn't coupled with a big monster thunderstorm or something like that of course. I'm talking about wind only on a good riding surface like a highway. I'm especially interested in what other V-Rodders and Fat Boy drivers have to say in regards to the solid wheel. My V-Rod is the first solid wheel bike I've ever had. I was a bit concerned that it was gonna be a real drag if I ever had to ride with a stiff wind. But after my experience Friday night I'm beginning to wonder if the people I've heard talking about crosswind problems caused by solid wheels weren't talking out of their arse. (Sarcasm mode on) I just can't imagine someone spouting out loud and long about the pitfalls and follies of solid wheels when they have absolutely no clue what they are talking about. (Sarcasm mode off) :)

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Steve, do you just want to hear from those with solid wheels or just Harleys or do you want to know about experiences with wind on any bike with any wheel?

G

·
The Xwind problem is suburban legend. Is't BS.

If the wind is blowing hard enough, it doesn't matter what kind of wheels you have you are going to be affected by it.

Enjoy the solid wheels. They're easy to clean and the tires are easy to plug if you have a flat.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
On the way to sturgis, two friends and myself encountered cross winds so strong we had to lean at what seemed like a 45 degree angle for a couple of hours. I think we were in illinois or iowa but the wind was so strong when we pulled over on the highway to retrieve something my riding partner dropped the wind was lifting the bikes off their kickstands, none ever fell but it was interesting to say the least. There was a sign that said high winds next so many miles and they wern't kidding. I don't think it was scary or anything, but I'm not sure if a new rider would have been okay with it. I was on a road glide, and there was a night train, and an 1100 sportster with us. It was 2100 miles in three days and was quite a ride. All three very different bikes all were leaning into the wind.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
No problem on the Ultra Classic or the FX Lowrider or the KZ 1100 before that, but I can tell some stories about crosswinds, Agcats, AT 400s and flyin off different airstrips.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
When the person on the back says "We have Cows", pull over. Until then fuc it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
utrvp said:
Steve, do you just want to hear from those with solid wheels or just Harleys or do you want to know about experiences with wind on any bike with any wheel?
I'd like to hear from all of you who are willing to take the time to answer regardless of what you ride! :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
flyinlo said:
No problem on the Ultra Classic or the FX Lowrider or the KZ 1100 before that, but I can tell some stories about crosswinds, Agcats, AT 400s and flyin off different airstrips.
Yee haw boy! You better get some boot into that rudder! :D

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thealien said:
On the way to sturgis, two friends and myself encountered cross winds so strong we had to lean at what seemed like a 45 degree angle for a couple of hours. I think we were in illinois or iowa but the wind was so strong when we pulled over on the highway to retrieve something my riding partner dropped the wind was lifting the bikes off their kickstands, none ever fell but it was interesting to say the least. There was a sign that said high winds next so many miles and they wern't kidding. I don't think it was scary or anything, but I'm not sure if a new rider would have been okay with it. I was on a road glide, and there was a night train, and an 1100 sportster with us. It was 2100 miles in three days and was quite a ride. All three very different bikes all were leaning into the wind.
I have made the journey across South Dakota many times on I-90. I used to live in Wall, SD and ran the helicopter ride concession at the eastern entrance to Badlands National Park just north of Interior, SD. I seem to remember high wind warning signs along the Missouri River Valley at Chamberlain...seems like I remember dealing with some tough winds around there too. Sometimes the wind at Wall would begin to make me crazy...it never let up. Blew 20+mph for weeks on end. Made flying the helicopter a little tricky at times too.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
flyinlo said:
Hey, BTW, do you have your private messages turned on? I've tried to contact you through the PM system here but I can't seem to get through.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I also remember the Missouri River area as being extremely windy when I rode home from Sturgis in 1997. I thought the wind was gonna put me in the river when I crossed on I-90. I can't wait to fight those Missouri River Valley winds in 2004 when I ride back to Sturgis though. It's the only thing I remember about the ride between Wall and Chicago, besides the corn....lots of corn.
Also riding around here in Cleveland the wind will get pretty strong on the Bridges downtown. Nothing like having a contact lense blown right out you eye while riding on the interbelt (I-90). We can thank the lake for our wind and cold Spring riding season.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
I was actually out today in some pretty stiff wind. Me = FXDX , Bud 1 = ST w laced wheels, Bud 2 = ST laced front / fatboy rear. It didnt really loop us much at all but when we came through the hollows and then crested a hill and got slapped with the crosswind we all flicked the bottom a bit to compensate. NO ONE got laned or shouldered but I would think that an inexperienced rider could have freaked and caused themselves a handfull of trouble. The TOPS of our rigs were pushed NOT the bottoms. I personally feel that an inexperienced rider will have their hands full on ANY setup in heavy sheer gusts but not necessarily in steady crosswinds and the solid rims might actually HELP get their flick where it needs to be.
JMHO

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Got a solid wheel on the back of my Deuce. Never notice any resistance. Would'nt baggers experience this too!

·
Registered
521 Posts
I ride a '00 Fatboy and on a trip through West Texas last summer had some cross winds that finally forced us to pull over for the day. My son was on a Sportster and wasn't affected quite as much as me but both were being thrown around a bit. The problem wasn't the constant wind but when it was blocked for a moment, then hit us again. I think the solid front wheel was affected a little more than the Sporster but I never felt threatened or out of control. We just got tired after about four hours of fighting wind. It was like traveling a road full of invisable trucks.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I have riden in 60+ mph cross winds and never slowed down. It's only wind, isn't that part of riden anyway? I have never felt that the wind is a safety issue. If you feel nervous in the wind, you need more practice riding your machine so your comfort level reaches the point where you can concentrate on the assholess in the cages not the wind. RIDE RIDE RIDE

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.