V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Dyna is a 2007 Superglide that has the small crossover in the exhaust.
It is farther down the exhaust and I think does little good.
I would like to know what would be effected if I remove it from the exhaust and weld a plate over the holes? I would not just cut it off, but take it clear out to open the header pipe to it's full capacity. I have read that being that far down the exhaust it only reduces noise, I want the cyl. per pipe sound.
Thanks,
Electropiep

·
Registered
615 Posts
I would discourage you from removing the crossover it does have an effect on torque and fuel mileage,believe me a lot of people mess with stock exhaust systems only to wind up buying a aftermarket exhaust system,if its sound you want get a pair of slip ons,that is the cheapest way to go there are lots out there and if you leave the a/c alone no fuel management device is required...Tom..

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Just an idea, think about FULLSAC True Dual conversion: two cylinders - two pipes/mufflers. Remapping is a must!

Sorry, I have just edited my post since I think that FULLSAC True Dual conversion does not fit Dyna models, but I am not sure. Sorry again.

emirharley
"Sarajevo Bikers Club" MC
www.sarajevobikersclub.ba
-----------------------------------------------------
2001 Harley-Davidson Road King Classic FLHRCI HDI EFI
Screamin' Eagle Stage One Kit
RevTech DFO Stealth Performance System
Screamin' Eagle Performance Mufflers
(Set two: Wild Pig Pipes, 2" baffles)
Ape Hanger
Back Rest
Kuryakyn Spider Light
et cetera

·
Faithful to the bottle
487 Posts
I changed my stock pipes out to Reinharts true duals and while I enjoyed the louder exhaust note, the mileage, & torque dropped a few ftpounds. I also had a decrease in mileage and required more fule to "try" and tune out the backfireing/exhaust popping. I have found that the engine is much happier with the cross over and went back to the stock head pipes and use the V&H HS slip ons, they sound very close to the over priced Reinharts and preform much better. I will say I dont like the look as much though.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
wide glide

Hey Stinger, So are those the stock Bob forks with wide glide tree's ??? All 07 stuff ??? A direct bolt on ????:corn:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. I have decided to keep the crossover in the exhaust.I am going to cut the inch excess out of the lower pipe. I put on a set of 3" HP + Khrome Werks. They sound great, no popping or back firing at all. I also am running a DFO and Arlen Ness Stage 2.

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
the crossover is your friend. the only thing better is a 2>1 pipe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
IMHO...

Removing the crossover pipe is one step to a destination. You have to know what your destination is. More low end? Mid range? High end? Or just looks? Better sound? More things have to be done when the crossover is removed. Air/fuel ratio will be effected along with low end numbers resulting from cylinder scavenging changes. The crossover does a lot of stuff for your exhaust needs. If you want to get away from the crossover, decide what you want your destination to be and build a new exhaust system to get you there.

Sounds like a good decision to leave it on for now.

·
Faithful to the bottle
487 Posts
dirtrace95 said:
Hey Stinger, So are those the stock Bob forks with wide glide tree's ??? All 07 stuff ??? A direct bolt on ????:corn:
Off subject...
Sorry wasent watching the thread...yes all 06-08 wg stuff. Bars are the 07 internal wired fat bars and risers (same thing as the fat bars in the accys cat. but MUCH cheeper FYI)
The tripp tree is a WG trip with 2deg of rake, stock down tubes and a 21" wheel with custom spacers (not needed of you use the 06-08 WG wheel, mines off of a 19?? softail and required making spacers)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts