V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm planning a cross country trip from Colorado to Boston - most of it through small town Americana on Route 20 (which runs from coast-to-coast; Oregon to Massachusetts). Here's my question: I live at 8,000' so my '95 Fatboy is jetted to run best between 5,000' and 8,000'. As you can imagine, the vast majority of the 2,000 mile trip will be well below that elevation. My do-it-yourself skills stop short of internal carb work so I'd have to make two dealer visits (before/after) if I want to rejet and, since the dealer is in Denver, the pre-trip rejetting would still be something of a guess as to how it'll run in the flatlands.

How big a deal is this? I'm assuming that running too rich is better than too lean. Conversely, what do you lower-elevation folks do when you cross the Rockies? You don't rejet for the climb (since it's only a 4-5 hour trip) - do you? Will the bike run so poorly that it will ruin the trip - or - is this a really minor issue?

Or...should I stop at a H-D dealer once I'm out of the mountains to rejet on the road (and at the same place on the way home). I hate to have work done on the road since it seems like it's asking for trouble.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I doubt it will be an issue,I've run from sea level to over 12,000ft with no issues on a couple different carbed bikes.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Sounds like a great trip; I'm jealous. Maybe you could get a recommendation for a good shop at a convenient spot along your route. Talk to them in advance and let them know your concern and about what day you'll be in the area. If the bike's running great, just stop in and get a t-shirt. If not, they'll be expecting you and ready to do a re-jet for you.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Y2K said:
I doubt it will be an issue,I've run from sea level to over 12,000ft with no issues on a couple different carbed bikes.
Did the same thing in 2000 on a 91 Goldwing. Only problem was loss of power going over Monarch Pass (US 50) in Colorado. Was two up and pulling a trailer. Had to ride in 3rd gear most of the time when going up hill. Same load and grades in the Blueridge Mountians and I would have been in 4th gear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts