V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend is having the following 95" build done at the dealer. Can I get some input? Does this look workable?

06 Eglide
stock heads
203 cams
SE head Gasket
SE High comp. cast pistons
V&H Pro Pipe

Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nw_guy4_fun said:
It's going to ping like a SOB, guarenteed.
That's what I was afraid of. He was intent on going the HD route so I told him to scrap the HC pistons and go with flat tops.

Rick

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MegaGlide said:
Standard flat-top pistons and an Andrews 26G cam.
If he's gotta stay chain drive SE, 204 cams.
Unfortunately it's a done deal. I forgot to add he's running a SERT. Will any amount of tuning help?

Rick

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
eglider05 said:
Unfortunately it's a done deal. I forgot to add he's running a SERT. Will any amount of tuning help?

Rick
No. The compression is too high for the cam. That's why if your friend would check the SE catalogue he/she would see the combination of components HD recommends with that cam and that flat top pistons are what is used.

If it isn't built, he might be better off exchanging, trading or selling those HC pistons and sticking with the HD recipe for that build. Guess I'm at a loss to understand how anyone thinks they can just mix and match any old thing and then expect it to work.

Ya didn't ask, but...based on a lot of feedback from people here and in other places -- your friend might give thought to MegaGlide's recommendation.

·
Registered
786 Posts
eglider05 said:

Rick
Yea, you can probably have it tuned to run like it did before the build so as to get no pinging/hot start issues Then again, maybe not. Seriously, go flat tops.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FXDRYDR said:
No. The compression is too high for the cam. That's why if your friend would check the SE catalogue he/she would see the combination of components HD recommends with that cam and that flat top pistons are what is used.

If it isn't built, he might be better off exchanging, trading or selling those HC pistons and sticking with the HD recipe for that build. Guess I'm at a loss to understand how anyone thinks they can just mix and match any old thing and then expect it to work.

Ya didn't ask, but...based on a lot of feedback from people here and in other places -- your friend might give thought to MegaGlide's recommendation.
He didn't listen to me. I had told him I heard this was a bad combo. He listened to the HD tech. That's the combo suggested to him by them. The guys at the dealership are all-knowing right?

Rick

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
eglider05 said:
Unfortunately it's a done deal.
Rick
They musn't be busy and wanted his $$$ before he could change his mind!

What stealer, Rick?

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
One of the mods has a similar setup and had pretty good luck w/ it, but that seems to be the exception. Just too dang much compression and that cam seems to come on a little later than the 204 or 26G, but maybe with good tuning and good gas he'll be one of the lucky ones...

Nevermind, it was VT-ZEB that has that build. He's in Sweden.

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
eglider05 said:
My friend is having the following 95" build done at the dealer. Can I get some input? Does this look workable?

06 Eglide
stock heads
203 cams
SE head Gasket
SE High comp. cast pistons
V&H Pro Pipe

Thanks,
Rick
It's my firm belief that too many people think taht the 06 heads are a 95", don't touch 'em head! I think that a stock 06 head is good to upgrade a pre 06, 88" motor. If you want ANY power from a 95" build you're still gonna have to rework those heads. They are just less work for the porter!! Just my -2$en#e-
:sofa:

·
43 Fuel Curves
819 Posts
eglider05 said:
Now Spinger- has indicated seeing a lot of the stock heads at 87-88 cc, if your friend's is he may still be OK. Have him make a CCP test. If he is under 190, he should be OK.

If over, he probably has spec 85cc heads. But with the SERT,YES there is still hope. He should run 91+ octane and have it tuned to 13.6 or richer (less) throughout the RPM range. In summer run 93+ octane.

Too bad he got the cast HC instead of forged HC, the forged would have been optimum for that cam. He can still change his cam without going too deep in. A SE211 would like the compression.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts