V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today a crime was committed at the Harley Dealership in Frederick, MD. After purchasing my 2012 FLTRXSE in September i had a issue with the protective tape on the right rear fender strut. It had a yellowish mark on it that would not come off. Witch i told the salesman about. Normal response we can take care of that.

Well not really I did not here back from him again. So late last week on my way out of town i stopped by the Dealership and told them what i thought about there customer service. He was all apologetic. He said i have the part I said OK when its nice enough i will bring it in.

Today was the day i stopped in he jumped all over it. I also asked if you have time could you do the recall the service manager said sure. After a hour or so they said you are ready to go. I went out to look at the clear plastic protective tape. Not only dose it look worse than the original but i now have the finger prints of the mechanic that installed it.

I was so pissed i just got on my bike and left. I will go to my local dealer and get them to fix and charge the other Dealership. Crime solved with indisputable evidence.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Is the dealer aware of this? If you are upset over it, then they need to know - otherwise they think they did a great job. If you told them about their screwup, then fine, but I am not sure that when you go to the other dealer to have them fix it they will charge the original dealer, and even if they tried that, the original dealer would probably tell them no go.

You spent a lot of money on a CVO, and you certainly deserve to be done right by the dealer you bought the bike from.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
All I can say from past experience is Good Luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd take it back again and tell the head poo-pa that his dealership is guilty of a crime and you got the prints to prove it! Good excuse for a ride in the Spring. But I'd dialog the issue now and document it.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is this a gag?? finger prints on friggin tape???
No not a gag. when the mechanic installed the tape it has a stickey addhisive on it. You realize this is clear plastic to protect the paint. Well when he installed it he left his dirty finger print on the under side of the tape.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
are you talking about the tape under the seat?

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
I purchased my own roll of the 3-M protection film. I use it on various areas. Its handy stuff to have around. For instance, the bottom of the bike frame rails. Keeps them from chipping especially since I live on a gravel road. Installing smaller pieces such as those your describing is easy to handle yourself. A spray bottle with a drop of dish soap and some rubbing alcohol in water and your good to go. If you screw up the first time cut another and do it again! You will get good at it in no time. Well lubed you can slide that film all over until you get it right where you want it. Then squeegee it out and your done! I even used a piece on my wifes car at the door jam kick panel where the kids get in and out and tend to run their gravel covered boots along the edge. Polished out the scratches, put on a short piece of film and its good to go! Easy to replace again as well if it gets worn. Good deals on the stuff on Ebay

·
?????
3,531 Posts
All I can say from past experience is Good Luck.

@gree: A dealer who will become a second party to this sure isn't going to bill the 1st dealer, heck the 1st dealer will tell them to get bent.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Hard to understand your post - I highly recommend you enable your spell-check.
Like rickr01 says this stuff is 4th grader simple to install if you use soapy water and a squeegy. I'd fix it myself and eliminate the drama.
One thing you might try: if you have a heat gun (or the wife's hair dryer) use it to soften the clear. A little heat goes a long way.
Once it's warm, carefully peel back the clear to the offending fingerprint. Then re-heat the clear and push it down carefully with a squeegy (or your fingers if it's not too hot).

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
I can understand wanting your bike to be perfect when it leaves the showroom floor but i think this is a little over the top. All it takes is a couple weeks of riding and you'll have a scratch here and a chip there. If you are this anal over a piece of protective tape then i'd hate to be around the first time you notice a rock chip in that pretty paint.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I guess throwing out a little humor is not a good thing. Should of just gotten to the point. That is I do not care about the protective coating. It is the fact that how salesmen tell you what you want to hear make promises, and the sell and send you on your way. Then call and bug you about filling out their most important survey on how you where treated.

Sorry for any confusion.

Regards

1 - 20 of 44 Posts