V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some mod I don't remember which one said, y'all get on the food forum for crawfish recipes. Well being quick of mind a month later I have created this thread.

Now I do my crawfish boil the same way I boil blue claw crabs. My dish I want to create is Gumbo.

What a crummy title it would be just with the word Crawfish( and Gumbo) sounds so much better.

Just because someone is in another state besides Lousana dosen't mean they don't have a great recipe.

·
Premium Member
2,079 Posts
In Maine at my big sister place on great moose lake. Going to pick up a bunch of lobster tomorrow and boil them southern style like crawfish. Never did understand the steaming them thing.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In Maine at my big sister place on great moose lake. Going to pick up a bunch of lobster tomorrow and boil them southern style like crawfish. Never did understand the steaming them thing.
Utterly tasteless. Needs salt, lemon, bay leaf, hot sauce and some onion. I throw about everything in the spice cabinet in the pot.

If you post a pic of the lobster feast then all I can do is drool. Lobster is running about $23 lb down here.

·
Registered
16,121 Posts

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried making a gumbo this afternoon after a ride. I put sausage, catfish, shrimps and crab. Three Silver queen ears, pole beans, bok choy, white onions and hot sauce. Bay leaves, purple garlic, red cayenne pepper, fake salt and parsley.

I have a bunch of shedder crabs that I caught in the spring that I use for fish bait. The other items can be found locally.

The stew was Ok and fed six, but was missing something. None was left. I am looking for that special taste. They like my red beans and rice too.

·
not sober all the time
5,372 Posts
I like chicken and andouille sausage gumbo. I kinda follow a John Folse recipe but I normally just use thighs instead of a whole hen. The chicken to andouille ratio I like is more like 4.25 lb of chicken to 1.75 lb of andouille. I also use a cup of white wine in place of some of the stock and kick in some cayenne in the seasoning mix. http://www.jfolse.com/recipes/soups/chicken10.htm

·
Registered
16,121 Posts
I tried making a gumbo this afternoon after a ride. I put sausage, catfish, shrimps and crab. Three Silver queen ears, pole beans, bok choy, white onions and hot sauce. Bay leaves, purple garlic, red cayenne pepper, fake salt and parsley.

I have a bunch of shedder crabs that I caught in the spring that I use for fish bait. The other items can be found locally.

The stew was Ok and fed six, but was missing something. None was left. I am looking for that special taste. They like my red beans and rice too.
So you started with a roux? Or what?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I 2nd the chicken/sausage gumbo, its what i've always made.
My mom likes to put okra in her gumbo but im not a fan.

I miss the smoked chicken back in Louisiana the most. Usually stop by Shanes seafood and bbq just for their smoked chicken when I go back and visit.....that and the raising canes chicken fingers.

This is all that goes in my gumbo other than the oil for roux and seasoning that i can remember. Wish I could get down home "hot" brand sausage here in SC.

2012 Fatboy Lo --- Sent from using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I 2nd the chicken/sausage gumbo, its what i've always made.
My mom likes to put okra in her gumbo but im not a fan.

I miss the smoked chicken back in Louisiana the most. Usually stop by Shanes seafood and bbq just for their smoked chicken when I go back and visit.....that and the raising canes chicken fingers.

This is all that goes in my gumbo other than the oil for roux and seasoning that i can remember. Wish I could get down home "hot" brand sausage here in SC.

2012 Fatboy Lo --- Sent from using Tapatalk
The hottest fresh made sausage here is prepared in Hallsboro, NC at Pierce & Co. Ya need ice cubes in the bathroom.

·
Premium Member
2,079 Posts
Master chicken and andouille sausage gumbo first. To me its all about the rue and stock, make your own. A little twist, I like to use the leftover turkey from Thanksgiving and Christmas to make a stock to make a turkey and Andouille gumbo.

Uncle Salty, the best gumbo I ever had was death by gumbo at a John Folse restaurant, have yet to make my own version but is on the list.

http://www.jfolse.com/recipe_week/recipe0811/WAFB_081811 death by gumbo.html

·
Premium Member
2,079 Posts
Seafood Gumbo is another beast. Don't like making a seafood stock instead use stock and rue for my chicken gumbo then toss shrimp and blue crabs in instead of the chicken and Andouille.

·
Premium Member
2,079 Posts
Took my wife and family to Folse's Revolution for her 50th birthday.

http://www.revolutionnola.com/chef_john_folse.html

Went with the Death by Gumbo. How they served it caught me off guard, The server came to the table with a large white bowl with a stainless cover over it. When they pulled off the cover it revealed a boneless Quail with all of the gumbo ingredients stuffed in it I was like WTF until the next server came over my shoulder with a sauce cup and poured the rue over the quail. My mouth just watered.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In September when we have the family reunion my wife's daughters 2nd cousin once removed will have crawfish again and I thought I would bring a seafood gumbo.

·
not sober all the time
5,372 Posts
My chicken/andoullie is a treat to my taste buds but I haven't found the right combination for my seafood gumbo. It's OK but not what I hoped for. I'm still working on the recipe. Now shrimp creole is a different story. I've just about mastered that to my wife's taste. She loves my creole. She doesn't care much for gumbo so I only have to please myself.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts