V-Twin Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I bored the trans case today; installed and honed the bushings; pressed the bearings out of the swingarm and the new, "True Pivot" bronze bearings in. I would have reinstalled the swingarm, but I don't have the "blue marine grease" the instructions call for. I thought about using Never-Sieze, but decided to follow the directions instead.

As requested, I did make a (probably lousy) video of the process - three of them, actually, and figured out how to post them on YouTube. I will try to link to those videos here:
Swingarm Pivot Bore Repair Part 1
Swingarm Pivot Bore Repair Part 2
Swingarm Pivot Bore Repair Part 3
The swingarm axle had a LOT of play in the bore. The bore did not appear to be worn oblong, it still looked round, but WOW, what a lot of slop. This was DEFINITELY a needed repair. It would be far better to remove the case, bolt it to an angle plate on a milling machine, and bore it that way. The bore is definitely not 100% true. I know this because I could slide the axle into either side (after honing the right side) but could not get it through the other bushing. So I had to hone until I could get the axle through. This was tedious to prevent going too far (though, the kit comes with 10 bushings; if you screw up you can do over without much fuss). I stopped when I could JUST get the axle through and move it freely. It does not have any real detectable play.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I got the swingarm all back together today. I decided to re-use the Sta-Bo bushings I've had in there for the past few years, despite Ron at TrueTrack saying they're not needed with the TruePivot kit. They certainly can't hurt anything being in there; and it seemed to me that they did make a noticable difference in stability when first installed. They're polyurethane and seem to have softened a little bit with 4 or 5 years of use. But I believe they'll add a bit of stiffness to the stock "donut" swingarm mounts. 20191017_162234.jpg 20191017_162238.jpg 20191017_162809.jpg

Pix show the Sta-Bo bushing installed (but without the swingarm bracket); the bushing itself; and the stock donut without the bushing.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Would it make sense to drill and tap for a zero fitting in the end of the transmission case so you can lube that pivot?
It makes sense in theory. But no matter where you put a grease zerk back there, it won't be very accessible. The tire or swingarm and fender will block access from behind or above. If you put it on the bottom of the trans case, it would be very difficult to access at best, and get full of crud from the road... I don't think it would be worth it.

That said, the bore in the trams case was very worn out. I assume it was a relatively good fit when new, probably the same as the fit now in the new bushings. It's definitely an area of heavy wear.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts