V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a sensitive topic, even for some of the hardest of the hard core out there, but I just wanted to share experiences. Sorry in advance if I PO anybody.

First time I crashed was while going too fast and turning and hitting gravel. Careless, but a lesson for me. Very minor, as I look back on it now.

Second - and hopefully the last time - was on wet grass . Careless again. That taught me NOT to wear shorts, because the bike fell on me, and my leg was caught under the hot exhuast and my skin pulled up kind of like when you try to clean burned eggs off a non-stick skillet.

About 10 years ago, my uncle had a car turn left in front of him. He survived the wreck, but several months later during surgery on one of his hands they made a mistake with the anethesia and he died. He would have recovered otherwise.

I signed my donor card on my license too, just in case.

·
Registered
24 Posts
june 10-02

most common cause of a bike wreck-car turned left in front of my wife and me. we were just leaving a light and luckly going slow. she got a severe broken arm and i have 4 broke ribs. broke leg in two places and a severly lacerated spleen. been laid up now gor 3 weeks. and a coupleof months to go. bike was shot- brand new springer. not one bit of this was our fault. we didnt have a chance.
no matter how safe you ride you cant prepare for this ****. 50 years old today-got the bike for my birthday - wont be doing much riding now for this summer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
SPRINGER52 - I'm curious, what happened to the left turning driver? Was he issued a ticket? You see from what I hear, even when admitting causing an accident - sometimes deadly (I didn't even see him/her!) drivers only get a slap on the wrist - I would like to see that change.
If you don't mind, I would be interested in hearing about the other drivers citation -

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yep it really isnt right- we came close to getting killed and all that happens is the other guy gets a ticket-$78- . i was amazed that you could do something this bad to someone and really get nothing. ive been laid out for a month so far and have a long way to go still.my wife has plates in her arm -and will never be the same. and it cost 78 bucks for this guy. what a system.

·
Registered
24 Posts
YEAH GOT ONE AS SOON AS I GOT OUT OF THE HOSPITAL. STILL IT TAKES YEARS TO REACH A SETTLEMENT. AND NO MATTER WHAT IT AINT WORTH IT. LOST THE WHOLE SUMMER. SMASHED A BRAND NEW BIKE AND HURT MY WIFE. IT JUST MAKES YOU SICK WHEN YOU SEE HOW LITTLE PEOPLE CARE ABOUT THE PEOPLE ON BIKES.

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
Our hearts and prayers go out to you and your wife Springer52. I would look at the attorney as a winning lottery ticket to be cashed in. Nothing could ever replace the pain and suffering that you and your wife has endured, but if a fat check landed in your lap a year later, it sure would be something to smile about.

·
Registered
312 Posts
http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/enthusiasts/news_article.asp?id=1649

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/enthusiasts/news_article.asp?id=1615

These two articles talk about new laws the AMA is pushing. They want to suspend driver's license if you cause a wreck that kills or serously injures someone else, motorcycle, pedistrian, bicyclist.

IMHO. These sound like a good idea

P.S. SC wreck in the article happened just 15 minutes from my house. I don't know the group of people, but the lady hit or wrecked something like 10 of the 14 bikes.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
blackwhisper said:

These two articles talk about new laws the AMA is pushing. They want to suspend driver's license if you cause a wreck that kills or serously injures someone else, motorcycle, pedistrian, bicyclist.

Suspend their license if the kill someone?

They ought to be screaming for jail time.

wyo

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Speedy Recovery

Springer 52, hope you and your wife have a speedy and full recovery as well. My OM rides an 02 springer and it almost got squashed. We were doing 45 down a road and a SUBURBAN made a left turn across our lane to turn onto the interstate. Fortunately my OM saw it coming, if he hadn't braked, we'd have been embedded or under said vehicle (I was on the back). Of course some nasty gestures and name calling ensued on our part! If anyone does that to me, they better look out, because if I can move, I'm going to kick the shi* out of somebody!!! $78-RIDICULOUS!

Sorry about the rant!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
24 Posts
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT.

Yep the perfect way to spend a summer. lost the riding season this year - but at least we will ride again or i will i think my wife has had her last ride. she didnt like the bike and was just getting where she would get on it . cant say i blame her. if you ride up here in ct. sooner or later a car will get you . i dont think you can get away from it.

Quicksilver thanks for the site. it is interesting.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Springer hope you guys recover soon. Our accident was a deer running out in front of us. We live out in the country and was heading home around 8:30 at night and he came right out of the woods and hit us. We were only going about 35 but it knocked us down. I just got some road rash, damn that hurts, and my husband got a broken clavicle and some road rash. Actually we came out of it pretty good. Could of been alot worse but I am still very afraid to ride at evening which sucks to pass on a warm summer night ride!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks For All Your Support

happy to report we are movung right along tword recovery. still have a ways to go -but its going good at least. wife has sworn to never get on a bike again-but i cant really blame her. i ordered a solo seat and am having the bike put back together with no rear foot pegs. might be over reacting -b ut i cant have the burden of hurting a passenger on me. bike should be done in another month or so. $11,500 in damage. and by then i will have the cast off my leg and stat theropy -so i might get some riding in before it gets cold again.

·
Registered
695 Posts
sned,
Thanks for posting the demo, it makes it real easy to explain why helmets are important. I know some people don't like them for various reasons but my full face helmet saved my life twice.

SPRINGER52,
I very sorry to hear about this accident. I hope you and your wife recover quickly. I don't know the situation in your State but here in mine there are many lawyers that would love to take your case and make that *&*&*& pay for everything. Good luck.

LeatherNLace,
Hitting a deer on a bike is bad news, even hitting one in a car is bad enough. The deer populations are out of control. Deer are a pain to many people especially farmers. Deer cause damage everywhere. They're even moving in to peoples yards and eating thousands of dollars worth of landscape. Anyone that owns a home knows how much it cost to make your property look good with landscape plants and shrubs. My solution is feed the starving / poor with deer meat -- heck I'd like some too for my smoker.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Cox900. I agree there are alot of deer out there, but, I beleive it is because of all the building going on. I don't know about where you live but here in Ohio it is everywhere. The poor deer are getting run out of their homes. I am the first to admit I am guilty of taking their space, our house is on the National Park. But I do buy fruit trees and berry plants to grow in our woods (we have 1/2 acre in our back yard) to try to feed them. I feel to let them starve is very inhumane. I have stated many times what a softie I am when it comes to animals. I also agree on how destructive they can be. It seems as though all my bushes and flowers I have bought just seem to be deer food. They are very dangerous, large animals to run into on the bike and now it makes me very scared to go riding, but whats the chances of it happening twice?? I hope very slim!!!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Springer52- Speedy recovery to you and your wife.

Its funny this came up. I just returned from another deployment to the Kuwait region. Backed my train outta the living room (my wife loves me) yesterday and went for a nice ride down US-1 then back north on A1A and into Melbourne. Came through an intersection alone with a few cars behind me. About 35mph. I look ahead about 200 yards and see a panel van pull out from the opposite side of the 6 lane I'm riding on. He pulls out slowly so I figure he's waiting on me and I start to accelerate. Not the case, this F%$# didn't even see me. he pulled right in front of me and I had to panic stop just to keep from nailing him. Missed him by inches. I pulled over quickly to check the scoot out and then look over my shoulder to see him hop out of this van at a used carlot. I give you one guess. THE FOOL WAS ON HIS DAMN CELL PHONE. I thought that yesterday was gonna be it but I foiled death again. I survive the desert again only to come home and get whacked by one of my own people. How Ironic.... Just goes to show you, you can't let your guard down one bit.
Ride Safe.
BK

·
Registered
24 Posts
that would have done it for me. the cell phone "might " put me over the edge.i think it should be a week in jail for usuing one in a car. it is already dangerous and then these assholes try to drive and talk on the phone.if one hits me and he is on the phone-- he had better be calling for reinforcements.
thanks for the kind words- we are getting along-it is just a little slower then i would like.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.