V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you ever have a day when your riding skills seem to go back to rookie. Went to one of my best friends funerals this morning. Beautiful spring day so I blew off the rest of the day to ride. After 25 miles I came home before I wrecked the bike. just couldn’t get my head into it. Oh well, tomorrows another day. :badmood:

·
OldBoldPilot
205 Posts
Smart Man

AISTQM said:
After 25 miles I came home before I wrecked the bike. just couldn’t get my head into it.
You're one smart dude, sounds like. Everyone has those days. I've had many of them over 45 years of riding motorcycles, and one reason I'm still riding is because when that happens, I do what you did: park the bike.

Hard to say why it happens. It seems as though the reflexes are a miniscule amout slower than usual, or maybe we're just preoccupied with something subconsciously, which keeps us from concentrating fully.

But it passes, and because you parked the bike today, you'll be able to ride again tomorrow. Smart move.

Philip

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Sorry to hear about one of your best friends. I'd imagine that his passing probably had something to do with your altered state of mind and wouldn't let you concentrate like normal. Good to know your limitations and recgonize them before it's too late.

·
Acquisitions
4,513 Posts
Ditto to what the guy said above me about your friend! I have had those days also. sometimes nothing feels right-missing a shift or stopping to hard! no balance of any kind! Then there are the days that I feel at one with the bike and nothing goes wrong! Must have something to do with the moons gravitational pull>LOL! Hang in it always gets better.....................

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
I've definitely had my "sloppy ride" kinds of days. Fortunately they're much fewer and far between than the days when I feel like I'm part of the bike. I think it's like a lot of hobbies and sports. We've all seen great teams, great golfers, great tennis players, etc. when they have an off day and lose to a less skilled opponent. It's probably dozens of little factors that combine to cause a lack of mental discipline and judgment. I agree it's best to find another diversion on days like that.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Philip said:
You're one smart dude, sounds like. Everyone has those days. I've had many of them over 45 years of riding motorcycles, and one reason I'm still riding is because when that happens, I do what you did: park the bike.

Hard to say why it happens. It seems as though the reflexes are a miniscule amout slower than usual, or maybe we're just preoccupied with something subconsciously, which keeps us from concentrating fully.

But it passes, and because you parked the bike today, you'll be able to ride again tomorrow. Smart move.

Philip
@gree: I have gotten back into riding after an extended abscence and I know exactly what you mean. Already I have had a few of those days and I realize it for what it is and go home. Sometimes it may only be until the afternoon and then all is good again.:)

·
Retired
1,835 Posts
Seems to be a normal thing that happens to all of us. I have started out on a ride and ended it shortly because nothing felt right. Thankfully it doesn't happen very often. Seems to happen when going on a nowhere in particular ride.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"Seems to happen when going on a nowhere in particular ride".

That's exactly the kind of ride it was. i'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who this has happened to. Thanks for the comments

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
AISTQM said:
Any of you ever have a day when your riding skills seem to go back to rookie. Went to one of my best friends funerals this morning. Beautiful spring day so I blew off the rest of the day to ride. After 25 miles I came home before I wrecked the bike. just couldn’t get my head into it. Oh well, tomorrows another day. :badmood:
Has nothing to do with your riding, you probally would have been the same in a cage or a pedal bike. Smart move parking the bike. Sorry for your loss

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Wouldn't it be great if a lot more people had this sensitivity to stop what they feel the can't do at the given time?
In a car you feel so much more protected that you keep going even though you shouldn't, on a bike however your keen senses and experience are your only safety system. If it shows weaknesses, respond to it by parking the bike until the system is back up.
Glad that I don't see too many guys using frigging cell phones on a bike.......

·
Registered
479 Posts
I was planning to ride to work Tuesday morning. I sat down to read the paper and came across the obit for Larry Grodsky. I had met him once and read his column regularly. I didn't even get on the bike that day. If it doesn't feel right, I don't ride.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
FXD-Tim said:
I was planning to ride to work Tuesday morning. I sat down to read the paper and came across the obit for Larry Grodsky. I had met him once and read his column regularly. I didn't even get on the bike that day. If it doesn't feel right, I don't ride.
Good for you Tim! Probably was the right thing to do. Maybe its a little biker 6th sense...who knows but if it helps keep us safe thats what matters.

Randy

·
it wasn't me
340 Posts
I can't say I've ever had that happen to me but if it does, I'd definitely park it. Why take a chance with so little protection. If you lose your concentration, it could be you we're reading about in the obits...

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
I ride to work almost every day. After a nice 200 mile ride with the wife Sunday everything was good. But Monday morning came and I just didn't "Feel" it. No ride if it's not there, you know.

As much as I would like to, if the wife and I have had a fight, or anything has taken my mind away, I will not get on the bike. No way I'm riding when I cannot have 100% of my pea-brain there with me!

Always thinking about riding tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
B McCool said:
I ride to work almost every day. After a nice 200 mile ride with the wife Sunday everything was good. But Monday morning came and I just didn't "Feel" it. No ride if it's not there, you know.

As much as I would like to, if the wife and I have had a fight, or anything has taken my mind away, I will not get on the bike. No way I'm riding when I cannot have 100% of my pea-brain there with me!

Always thinking about riding tomorrow!
Smart man for a pea brain! :D Continue to ride safe.

Randy

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
i went to a good mates sendoff about 12 years ago. riding in the rain, long trip, nearly lost it on a corner into an oncoming car. ride in peace, painter john, john the painter, JT my friend:chopper:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts