V-Twin Forum banner

Crappy paint, advice needed (long).

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  PatriotARK 
#1 ·
Picked up my '02 Fatboy last May and it had what looked like a small piece of dirt under the clearcoat. Dealer ordered a new tank and I made the 200 mile (one-way) trip to have the tank installed. Went out and looked at the bike and it had several fingerprint size blotches in the new tank. They said they wanted to buff it out and I told them that I probably wouldn't be happy with it becasue it was gonna have swirl marks in it because it is black. They tried, it did, new tank ordered. I then made another trip and had the third tank installed--they buffed this one before they ever brought it out to me and it looks okay in the shop but get it out in the sun and there are still some blotches like the second tank and, of course, it has swirl marks. So what am I left to do--I've got an $18k bike that looks like a shady used car dealer got a hold of it with his buffer. Should I continue to go through the dealer, contact Harley, or what? Any advice will be appreciated. :confused:

Discussion starter · #7 ·
For a second I would feel like I was being too picky but then I'd step back and think of what I paid (and still paying) for this damn thing. I'd almost near settle for my old tank back now--it was better than either of the other 2. I guess I'm gonna get in touch with a factory rep next week and go and go from there because I'm sick of making the 3 hour trip to get it swapped.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.