V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I got an 87 Softail that I put a 96 Carb on. I'm running an open element air cleaner (Screaming eagle). Instead of venting the crankcase into the air cleaner I put on one of those little filters. It seemed to be ok, but after setting for about 2 weeks, I rode around the block tonight and when I got home I notice that the small crankcase filter was misting oil out of it. Is this normal? Why? Can I just route the crankcase vent around and down to the overflow tube behind the shocks? What have you guys done. It's an 87 so no vents in the head, it comes from the crankcase. All advise and experience is appreciated, I don't know what to do but I dont want to have to keep cleaning the dang oil mist off everything.
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Mike:

On the earlier engines with the crankcase vent, I always ran the hose out to the lower right frame rail, then back in between the frame rail and the exhaust bracket mounting posts (2 of them). Lots of opinions about using the filters, I never did but that's up to you. I used to pull the hose off a couple of times a year and replace it. I always cut the old hose apart to check and see if any grit, etc., was getting way up in the hose and never found any.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts