V-Twin Forum banner

Crankcase breather oil leak

8K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  02fxsti 
#1 ·
Any insight on a crankcase breather oil leak? 01 softail burps oil at highway speed. Every video I have seen said over filled with oil but I changed oil last year and haven’t done more than 1200 miles. Replaced gaskets in rocker box and crankcase breathers

#3 ·
From from connection of breather hose to bolt. My buddy is a Harley tech and took it out last night after we put it back together and it still burps oil. Not sure if the old breathers impeded flow since they were pretty bad and the new ones are clean and allow proper flow. He thinks it’s over filled and I stumped

#4 ·
If you have oil pushing out of the breathers it can be corrected by a) installing new style breather valves, and b) drilling out the drain holes in the rocker supports to 3/16".

This assumes that there is not excessive blow by from worn rings or worn bores. And that its not sumping.

#5 ·
not sure if you are still looking for your answer...tldr to the end of replies but i know in my experience, when i was dealing with the exact same problem you had in addition to keeping my cool every time someone suggested i over filled the oil i nearly lost my mind. had thoughts about just ditching the bike somewhere and never speaking about it again. haha glad i didnt. your breather umbrellas are in upside down. or downside up, however you say it in your part of the world.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.