V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of putting an 80ci evo from a 1992 bike in my 1997.
The motors seem identical except the crankcase breather, in the 92 it is close to the bottom of the engine and the 97 was a head breather.
the issue I’m having is the breather line on the 92 engine is hitting the oil return line on myOil tank/transmission.
I have plugged this breather and opened the inspection hole on the left side for timing and installed a vent there.
Will this work the same or am I going to have problems?

thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
You installed a vent in your timing hole? Did you go up with the line and then down?
I would think you will have quite a lot of mist coming off that line.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would think using the timing hole is going to mess with scavenging. I would route the existing oil line around your oil line.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did go up and then down. There really is no other options, between the engine and the oil line on the transmission there is only 1/4” of space. There’s no way to install a nipple for a hose

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did go up and then down. There really is no other options, between the engine and the oil line on the transmission there is only 1/4” of space. There’s no way to install a nipple for a hose

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Either I'm still learning or mis-remembering.
One is good, the other ... not so much.
Thanks Alan S

·
Registered
16,586 Posts
the issue I’m having is the breather line on the 92 engine is hitting the oil return line on myOil tank/transmission.
I have plugged this breather and opened the inspection hole on the left side for timing and installed a vent there.
Will this work the same or am I going to have problems?

thanks for any help
Put the timing plug back in.

1) Do you have the crankcase vents installed in the heads? If so that's all you need for that part.

2) Did you plug the old crankcase vent hose that you could have pulled out? Or did you plug the sump vent to the tank?

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,586 Posts
Either I'm still learning or mis-remembering.
One is good, the other ... not so much.
Thanks Alan S
Don't take that as written in stone. My rememory ain't what it used to be. :)

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
My '92 EVO had that return line (rubber hose) going thru the air cleaner. When I installed a Rev-Tech air cleaner ( a K&N) I didn't like the idea that even ever so small amout of oil could get to the K&N. So, I plugged the hole in the air cleaner backing plate with a nylon nut and bolt and aimed the hose down. Then bought one of those nifty looking breathers with a chrome cap that looks like a miniature K&N filter. Mounted it on one of the clutch cover bolts. 27 years...so far, so good.

FWIW

1 - 11 of 11 Posts