V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked at several crankcase breather kits for my 05 FXDWGI, and I've decided to try Kuryakyn's Bluegrass Crankcase Breather kit. It has an optional container available for it to trap any oil droplets, although in the kit description Kuryakyn recommends just venting to open air. Anyone have any experience with this kit, with or without the optional container? Anyone have mounting recommendations?

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
No expereince with it, have dad experience with Kuryakyn. The reason every one will tell you they have good service and warranty, is because they need it.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
I find it simpler and less expensive to just use hoses and direct them through the transmission interface area to the ground. If you have carry over then there are other problems, and I don't want oil vapor screwing up my nice ports and ingested into the motor to cause pinging and carbon deposits.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm Confused

I thought the reason you want some sort of crankcase breather was to help the engine expel pressure, thereby making your seals and internal parts last longer. It's more than just leading hoses closer to the ground to keep blowby off the engine, isn't it?

From September 2005 of Hot Rod Bikes: "Crankcase pressure and blow by is pressure built up inside the motor which exhales as the pistons move up inside the barrel and push leftover oil out of the heads, or in some cases, the lower end. Quality crank vents help to relieve this pressure and oil build up by the heads or crankcase. These crank vents help in many ways from increasing the life of your gaskets, to better fuel mileage".

So I'm confused. It sounds like experienced riders in here don't see a need for breathers..?? Or am I missing something?

·
Wandering Child
632 Posts
You need to keep the breathers...

There is just more than one way to do it. Some people run them back through the air cleaner, others buy a kit to prevent the oil from getting into the air cleaner and others just run tubes to the ground for venting.

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
Talisman said:
I thought the reason you want some sort of crankcase breather was to help the engine expel pressure, thereby making your seals and internal parts last longer. It's more than just leading hoses closer to the ground to keep blowby off the engine, isn't it?

From September 2005 of Hot Rod Bikes: "Crankcase pressure and blow by is pressure built up inside the motor which exhales as the pistons move up inside the barrel and push leftover oil out of the heads, or in some cases, the lower end. Quality crank vents help to relieve this pressure and oil build up by the heads or crankcase. These crank vents help in many ways from increasing the life of your gaskets, to better fuel mileage".

So I'm confused. It sounds like experienced riders in here don't see a need for breathers..?? Or am I missing something?
Venting the pressure isn't the issue, it's whether the oil carried with the expelled air is re-routed through the air cleaner, or dumped elsewhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts