V-Twin Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Does the 3rd wire have a color? If it wasn't used in the plug then it may be a wire used to reduce radio interference.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Can you tell which wires were used in the plug? Use those two. My guess, red and black. Some times these kind of sensors are made to be universal. That means they are 2 sided, 3 wire, you have a voltage supplied side, a normally "on" side, and a normally "off" side. When metal passes by, the sensor switches. Of course HD only uses one side so the spare wire would not be used in the plug.

·
Super Moderator
21,383 Posts
Does the 3rd wire have a color? If it wasn't used in the plug then it may be a wire used to reduce radio interference.
Its a difference in how the sensors are made and work. 3 wires is hall effect, 2 wires is reluctance.

Harleys with cam sensors use Hall effect in both positions. Bikes without cam sensors use reluctance sensor at the crank.

·
Super Moderator
21,383 Posts
Right. I would hate to order a 32707-01 sensor only to find 3 wires when I remove the moulded plug in order to solder the wires to the module, which happened with the 32798-04C. Looks like the wires are 90 deg. and above the bolt boss too me, that probably doesn't matter though.
Thats my bad, I assumed the kit worked with the sensor on the scooter. I was not aware that the kit included a new sensor.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thats my bad, I assumed the kit worked with the sensor on the scooter. I was not aware that the kit included a new sensor.
Not your bad. Probably mine. The kit does not include a sensor (see pic) I assumed that the function of these sensors was the same and I got the one for the motor as a replacement to try and cure my none starting problem. None of these sensors have a part number stamped on them. I have now gone ahead and ordered a 32707-01 and hoping for the best. Thunder-Heart.JPG

·
Premium Member
1947 FL 1972 XLCH 1989 FLST
43 Posts
That's what you get from ordering from an aftermarket source and $88! Now I will have to order a new one from my nearest HD dealer.

Surdyke or Ronnies will give you a discount for those parts about $46 when you sign up online

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
That's what you get from ordering from an aftermarket source and $88! Now I will have to order a new one from my nearest HD dealer.

Surdyke or Ronnies will give you a discount for those parts about $46 when you sign up online
Thanks, but neither Ronnies or Surdyke will ship outside the U.S. I am in Norway.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Back again, Been working on my house and also needed a break for my head. I got the 32707-01 sensor which Thunderheart was adamant that I use. The wires come out of the sensor correctly and to the moulded plug. When removing the plug in order to solder the wires in to the module I find the red and the black and also a white wire that is not connected into the moulded plug at all. There are only 2 pins in the plug. I clipped off the end of the white wire and soldered the red and black correctly as described in the diagram from Thunderheart.
Not much improvement on start up. Rear cyl runs, although roughly as though the timing is out. I got a little heat in the front cyl but it doesn't run and the motor will not idle.
I had a suggestion that the feed wires to the coil should not run along the chassis frame as this could disturb the signal to the coil. Any thoughts?
As mentioned, the module from Thunderheart has been changed and the ignition re-wired.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Time to wire it up to the scope and see what the spark pattern looks like.
Unfortunately, I don't have access to a scope, but I will try to get my interface cable back and connect to my laptop with the Thunderheart software that came with the Stand Alone System. Failing that I am beginning to look at the German Altmann-P3 ignition that has very good reviews and feedback here in Europe. A bit expensive, but if it works....
Any feedback in the U.S.?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts