V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys new to this forum.i posted my question on another site and didnt get much feed back on it,so maybe some of you fellas can tell me the good bad or ugly on this profile:whisper:

here it goes.
gonna do a 103 build on a flhx.
heads ported
flat top pistons
from what i gather when going from 96 to 103 you get anywhere from 9.9 to 10.3 depending on deck hieght.ill set my height at zero.
the cam specs are
intake 18-42-240-570
exhuast 46-22-248-570\dont know the other specs?

ive always been partial to the specs on this cam for some reason.cant get away from it.looking at other profiles also the new 54.i like alot of cams but the main ones peeps keep refering me to is 510 lift cams ive tried several different cams in this range and like them all.but 103 with good heads and around 10.1 i think imo need more lift?:thumbsup:

so any input heresay or personal experince on this profile i will be very thankful.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
There are several cams in this range that can get the job done. I question the methodology not the cam choice.

We see these posts all the time like "the BEST..."

First we need to know the bike, intended use, Load, pipe, tuning method, and all pertinent data to make a decent suggestion. Then in my opinion the head choice is first then pistons and cam are arrived at as a matched pair in conjunction with the head chamber size to achieve the desired CR and achieve the goal and compliment the characteristics of the heads.

This cam is a paper tiger IMO not bad but there are better. One head porter likes the Cranes (John Sachs) but his heads are ported in a way that compliments the cam. If I had a set of his heads I would use the cam he suggests and have predictable result. One head porter loves the Wild Things Cams (Bob Wright, Roland) and the same holds true. And on and on... Hillside Woods... If I had a set of his heads I would use the cam he suggests and have predictable result.

We need to look at the motor as a SYSTEM not a camshaft with a lot of other parts bolted on.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well that didnt answer much,lol!!!!!!!!!!!:harhar:
just playin.all im asking is if anybody has run this profile at any given time.
i like woods built 95 inch dyna with sbc heads and the usuall goodies t-header s&s carb w6 built 2 80 inch evos close to the same like them .dont want one wanna be different.:spank:
ive run the 37bs in my wideglide with similar build.run good run a crane in 80 dresser run good.im not wantin to get in a match of my pipe sucks or my head choice is bad.

the bike is a 07 flhx street glide.stock gearing gonna change that.
already had a pro-pipe not gonna change it like it.its got a big sucker air cleaner,like it.has a power commander on it already not gonna change that.lol!!!!
like you said they are alot of choices,some good some bad thats why im asking and i cant get a response on this profile surely someone has run it.

the cam is the choice imo i build everything else around it not build a motor then decide what cam i want.imo thats not good b/.c the cam is the whole key.

this bike is my ole mans we just bought it a few months ago he is 63 and is use to his fxr with 113 and says something gotta be done with this turd.lol!!!!!!!!!so im fixin to take care of that.i know it wont be the same thing but i wanna make it run good.he rides fairly hard and plays alot with all of the peeps we ride with.my main goal is to make good solid power from 2200-2500-to 6000 rpm.
im not gonna run a wood high lift cam as they are noisy been there before.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
OK now we made some progress
There is nothing wrong with what you have already. The pipe is critical, and the propipe works pretty well.
The PC can get the tuning done fine.
You will need heads to support the cams. I have run 1 set of 290s. They worked OK in a build 95" 10/1 with SE performance heads. Did another with S&S 570g cams and it did better 98hp / 105tq similar pipe. The 290 was noisy. The S&S not. Am I recomending the S&S NOPE. It just happened to work better with the heads.
See problem is some port the heads with bigger exhaust valves and about 80% exhaust to intake flow ratio, others are stock valves and in the low 70s. So if you are hell bent on that cam contact John Sachs and he will get you the heads that will work real well with those.
So another factor to consider, you will need the 07 hydrachain version of these cams or any cam you choose, unless you go geardrive in which case a camplate change and oil pump will be needed or the SE camplate, ala carte and use your oil pump. Considering the allowable crank runout which is in spec now by HD getting gear drive to work may be difficult without the crank trued first. A runout check would be first on the list IMO and heads next.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nw_guy4_fun said:
OK now we made some progress
There is nothing wrong with what you have already. The pipe is critical, and the propipe works pretty well.
The PC can get the tuning done fine.
You will need heads to support the cams. I have run 1 set of 290s. They worked OK in a build 95" 10/1 with SE performance heads. Did another with S&S 570g cams and it did better 98hp / 105tq similar pipe. The 290 was noisy. The S&S not. Am I recomending the S&S NOPE. It just happened to work better with the heads.
See problem is some port the heads with bigger exhaust valves and about 80% exhaust to intake flow ratio, others are stock valves and in the low 70s. So if you are hell bent on that cam contact John Sachs and he will get you the heads that will work real well with those.
So another factor to consider, you will need the 07 hydrachain version of these cams or any cam you choose, unless you go geardrive in which case a camplate change and oil pump will be needed or the SE camplate, ala carte and use your oil pump. Considering the allowable crank runout which is in spec now by HD getting gear drive to work may be difficult without the crank trued first. A runout check would be first on the list IMO and heads next.
thanks yeah i know i have to get the 07 version cams.okay the heads more than likely be done by sbc he has done 4 sets for me and they all worked great i know some dont like him and thats okay we are all intitled to what we think or know.1.90 intake valve stock exhuast valve,cnc port the bowl area and just hand blend the intake and exhuast tracks,they are big enoungh imo for a 103 mild build.i dont want to go much more than 10.1 due to heat issues and compression releases.he does not want any of this he say if he wants to push damn buttons to start hell get the 113 out and ride it,:nunu:
so thats pretty well were im at just trying to find a profile that works good for what hes looking for. the 54 specs look good but no one i can find has tryed them yet.dewey is suppose to but hell thats in a stock 96 not a more compress with head work 103 how do i know they will work good in my build.:hmmm:
so any suggestions this crap is drivin me nuts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
one hell of a good site and just one ole good feller has chimed in what a shame on my part.:thanks:
it shows alot of guys have looked at my post but no more good advice?????:hystria:

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
One more thought, not trying to be a thread post hog
Forget or should I say put little weight in advertised static compression ratio numbers. Consider the "dynamic" "corrected" compression ratio and try to stay shy of 9.0/1 and less than 190 calculated CCP to stay away from gas and starting issues.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Hotbo,

Most have not replied as nw guy4 fun KNOWS what he is talking about. He has guided you through some of the issues and given you advice. Your call now.

There are very few guys runnig the Crane setups. Just the way it is.

karlrockdrain

·
Registered
11 Posts
hotbo said:
hi guys new to this forum.i posted my question on another site and didnt get much feed back on it,so maybe some of you fellas can tell me the good bad or ugly on this profile:whisper:

here it goes.
gonna do a 103 build on a flhx.
heads ported
flat top pistons
from what i gather when going from 96 to 103 you get anywhere from 9.9 to 10.3 depending on deck hieght.ill set my height at zero.
the cam specs are
intake 18-42-240-570
exhuast 46-22-248-570\dont know the other specs?

ive always been partial to the specs on this cam for some reason.cant get away from it.looking at other profiles also the new 54.i like alot of cams but the main ones peeps keep refering me to is 510 lift cams ive tried several different cams in this range and like them all.but 103 with good heads and around 10.1 i think imo need more lift?:thumbsup:

so any input heresay or personal experince on this profile i will be very thankful.
I have this cam. I would purchase the S&S 570, andrews 37G, or woods TW6 or 6H if I did it again. And this cam is slightly noisey. Search my posts I posted the dyno results.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Have done a few of the Hippo builds with SE heads 570 cams right out of the box and bettered those numbers in 4th SAE by quite a bit
Very wide flat torque curve with a trap or FatCat
The S&S 570, 37, and Wood 6 all are a bit different and respond and work in different compression ratio ranges best.
Have also seen a few 290 builds dyno reach 110/110 but higher compression and expensive headwork (Baisley)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts