V-Twin Forum banner

Craftsman Powder Gun Tested.... Wow... I'm getting one

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  MaxThrottle 
#1 · (Edited)
Craftsman Powder Coating Gun Tested.... Wow... I'm getting one

This link points to a site where a guy did some fairly extensive testing of the new Sears powder coating gun and he did a great job of photo-documenting the entire procedure.

Well worth a look if you are planning on getting one.

I plan on getting the powders from http://www.columbiacoatings.com/ , but will probably get the gun from Sears just in case I don't like it.

http://www.jamesriser.com/Machinery/PowderCoating/Testing.html

ps... thanks slo... for turning me on to this thing!

#4 ·
I also talked to the tech at columbia coatings about the differences between the Sears and the Chicago units. They sell both units so he was familiar with the characteristics of each.

He said for small parts, especially pieces with grooves or slots, that the Sears unit provided better coverage and was much easier to use.

Columbia also sells packages of powder down to 2 ozs. and claims that they have their powders specially formulated for them for better adhesion and flow characteristics and that they will work in the Sears gun.

Caswell has powders for 1/2 the cost, but not in as small quantities. Not sure how they compare to Columbia.

Shelf life in a cool dark location is given at 6 mos. but the tech said they should last a year. So gauge your quantity on coverage needed as well as shelf life.

The unit is now $189. The $159 sale is over..... dammit.

#8 ·
Ahar said:
first load with the sears powder coat and Columbia Coatings matt black
I like this tool.
Dam... that looks good man!!

I picked up mine.... waiting for Columbia powder. Which oven is that?

I have an idea for an oven mod which may allow for longer pieces that just need powder on an end... I'll update later if it works.

This is better than Martha Stewart. What is your recipe?

#10 ·
8-Ball said:
I also talked to the tech at columbia coatings about the differences between the Sears and the Chicago units. They sell both units so he was familiar with the characteristics of each.

He said for small parts, especially pieces with grooves or slots, that the Sears unit provided better coverage and was much easier to use.

Columbia also sells packages of powder down to 2 ozs. and claims that they have their powders specially formulated for them for better adhesion and flow characteristics and that they will work in the Sears gun.

Caswell has powders for 1/2 the cost, but not in as small quantities. Not sure how they compare to Columbia.

Shelf life in a cool dark location is given at 6 mos. but the tech said they should last a year. So gauge your quantity on coverage needed as well as shelf life.

The unit is now $189. The $159 sale is over..... dammit.
specially formulated? did the tech use to sell harley oil? i use to powder coat at my job.we used h b fuller powder. which was top of the line but we would buy it by the ton. for getting into corners we would turn the voltage down about 1/2 way on the spray gun. if the voltage is adjustable try that for the corners.
i was at harbor freight store yesterday and saw powder paint there. the colors were white,red,yellow and gloss black.don't know how good it is or the cost. the cans it came in was about the size of an oil can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.