V-Twin Forum banner

Craftsman Motorcycle/ATV Jack--4-XMAS

2K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  utrvp 
#1 ·
My wife got me one of thoes Craftsman (Sears) Motor cycle jacks for Christmas... It looks strong enough to handle almost any touring bikes but just have to ask if anyone has had any issues with this unit... Are any modifications required to lift a bike with a twin cam?... I haven't really used a jack before and was just concerned about the engine sticking down below the bike frame (if it does)... The bike I have is a RK. and I also have a Sportster and I know the exhaust on the Sportster does extend below the frame so I know I'll have to take that into consideration...... guess you might say my real concern is lifting an expensive 17000.00 bike with a $120.00 lift...
If any one has used this jack, would greatly appreciate your opnions etc.. Thanks,

Happy New Years to you all...

#3 ·
Hay, thanks for linking me to the "Links" regarding the Jack but, seems like most of the discussion was driven towards US made VS China made. As far as supporting products made in the USA.... I'm all for that but facts are facts.... I wouldn't be able to communicate over the internet if it weren't for this "overseas" made computer!..... and believe it or not... alote of the chrome do-dads that Harley has their name on is farmed out to overseas manufactures.. Not getting off the issue here or trying to start a war of sorts but even though the Harley Davidson is "Assembled" and sold as a US built bike.... there is heavy usage of overseas made components.... I really appreciate the open communication of this forum and the great feed-back of all.... As far as buying a US product or a China made product.... I will buy the best bang for the buck no matter where it's made........ Just looking for concerns on lifting/safety/ and need for adapters to lift a RK.... Thanks

#6 ·
Yes, I guess you might say I'm retired.... At least that's how the US. Government has classifed me after 30 years of serving in the US. Military! and I do care about jobs and the job market... I hire and fire almost everyday in my current position...... and having been stationed and living overseas........ I can see why "our" job/employment force is failing!........ It's not so much in the quality of products or who has a job in as much as it is in the attitude of the work force itself..... I can see that this post is getting way off center and only fueling trouble so I'll keep my mouth shut and say that I'm sorry for posting in the first place... Had no idea that the war was still going-on.... bigger fish to fry then to argue opnions... Thank anyway..

#7 ·
What job market are you in ??? I'm an electrician and see great craftsman every day(and a bum or two), didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, sorry if I did. I just think american products can rival anything the world has to offer, just not at 7-8 dollars an hour. The craftsman jack looks good, I hope you enjoy it !!!

#8 ·
You don't have to run. Stay here. There is a wealth of knowledge available. Sometimes it is offered, sometimes you have to look for it. Just depends on the moods!

I got one for Christmas also. I remember some of the discussions here about the Sears vs. BJ'/Sams Club and I believe the consensus was for the Sears product. I have complete trust in it and don't think any modifications are necessary except for Sportster frames. Good luck.

#9 ·
Hey Doug,
I am using the Sears lift, you'd be pleasently surprised at the stability it provides. Right now I have an '03 Ultra in winter storage suspended by one. I read in an earlier post about (think it was the Sears) the bottle leaking down fluid, but I haven't been concerned. As a test, after lifting the bike and applying the lock, I released all hydraulics and waited for the worst, didn't happen. Even got the guts to leave it overnight on just the mech lock without incident. The jack fit right under the Ultra without mods, I stand on the right side, hold the bike upright and jack, no mess -no sweat. IMHO you've got a great jack..............

#10 ·
Ditto on what Hog883 said.. My bagger is sitting on the Sears lift right now, and from the amount of snow we have it might be there for a while..
Great lift very stable allways use the lock and straps to be safe..
I have even had mine running on the lift strapped down, NOT what anyone might recommend. But I was checking something "also remember the engine will not get any airflow and the vibration could possibly cause it to move on the lift and fall..

#11 ·
:rolleyes: ...thanks SIN, forgot to mention the straps!

#12 ·
Thanks guys, I also got the Sears Craftsman (made in China) jack, think the 'ol man said it was on sale for 99.99 + tax, can't beat it. I believe the Dyna models will also require an adapter, and as you probably know by now nothing on the TC motor protrudes below the frame.
Boy do I have a story about protrusion or should I say prolapse, but that's a medical story for the EAYOR forum.
Take care
And to all you bro's with your bikes in "winter" storage I'm sorry, but West Texas allows me to be a "12 monther" :) :)
Happy New Year

#13 ·
Well just to let you know.... I just tested the Craftsman jack and it fit just perfect under the Roadking. Bike was on stand and from the right side of the bike I was able to position the jack for a straight in shot... Just had to slightly pull on the handlebar to upright the bike just enough to get the rubber lifting feet to slide under the lift side frame. Perfect lift with no problems... sturdy and well balanced..... I'm pleased.. Now onto constructing some sort of adapter to lift my Sportster...

#14 ·
I also got the Sears lift for myself for Christmas. It supports my Fatboy very well. If it falls off the lift, it's because it was pushed off. Not because it was unstable. It's VERY stable while on the lift.

I have noticed, however; with the bike jacked up, it will slowly "leak" down after a few minutes. What I did at first was to put a block of wood under the scissor portion of the jack so that when it decends, it will come to rest on the the block of wood still with the tires raised off the ground. It worked as long as I remembered to use the wood!! I didn't like using the first "locking dowel" for storage because using it requires the bike to be jacked up too high in the air for me nor do I trust the welds on the locking dowels. So just tonight I welded my own "locking tabs" at a position so that the wheels are only about an inch off the ground.
But I'll still keep the block of wood under it for piece of mind.

Bottom line the Sears jack is well worth the money even if you don't catch it on sale. Makes cleaning wheels a lot easier. And will pay for itself the first time you've got to pull a wheel. Happy New Year Everyone!!

#15 ·
BTW.... for all who got the Sears Craftsman Jack for Christmas,, you may want to take your receipt back to Sears and get some money back as these Jacks were selling for 119.00 before Christmas and today they are on sale for 99.00.... my wife just spent her refund!

#16 ·
Yea, if anyone is thinking of buying one in the future you can get an additional savings by joining their Craftsman tool club before hand I payed $94 when it was on sale for $119 with the club card. It seems like they have a sale about every other month so you won't have to worry about jumping on one right away.

Another little tip is I have a little 4"piece of 2x4 I put under the kickstand before I slide the jack under to keep it in more of a upright position.

Just my personal opinion I wouldn't put anything in between the scissor portion of the lift. All that weight will be multiplied on the hinge portion of the lift and your just asking for failure.
Also the lift should NEVER be left up only supported by the bottle jack the only faith you have then is in a 10 cent O-ring "that's a quote from Hippo I may stand corrected on that price but I'm pretty close..:D

#17 ·
Doug,
My two cents worth on the Craftsman jack. It doesn't work on the Heritage, not low enough to go under the frame. If it works on the Ultra, RK and Fatboy great, just others be aware it will not go under the frame of a Heritage Softail Custom, or the 600 Shadow my wife rides. For an alternate the lift from Sam's club is about two inches lower and works great on the lower bikes.

Tom

#18 ·
My son paid $89 at Sears (I think it might have been one of those Super Saturday sales)for mine and 2 weeks ago they were $117. He got a good bargain. Have'nt tried it yet on my Deuce but I have used the homemade version (successfully) that was discussed here previously. If you want additional security, cut a block of 4x4 or thicker to fit between the lift base and the floor after you've reached the desired height.

#22 ·
THANKS

Doug said:
BTW.... for all who got the Sears Craftsman Jack for Christmas,, you may want to take your receipt back to Sears and get some money back as these Jacks were selling for 119.00 before Christmas and today they are on sale for 99.00.... my wife just spent her refund!
Thanks for posting this Doug. I was waiting for it to go on sale so I could get some money back. Of course, I promptly spent it + more at the J&L Harley Davidson Dealership, but they were having a great sale. :D

#23 ·
Sale ends today 12/28.02. Better get down to sears or get it online or else wait for the next sale.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.