V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I was at an independant shop today and talking with one of the wrenches there. As we talked he was looking at the rear exhaust Y pipe on my FLHT and told me he has seen three customers with a broken rear pipe. He told me it was a poor design and that mine will eventually break. Oh great.

First I've ever heard of it. Have any of you out there heard of this?

Thanks

Fastlane

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Holy Smokes! What did you have to do? Just replace the pipes? The pipes I would want to replace the factory pipes with would be one of two choices, V&H long shots $500.00 or the Hooker true duals $700.00. Or did you have them repaired? Mine are fine for now as far as I can tell. I really hope I don't have to do anything for a while. I'm just enjoying riding the machine for now. Thanks for the quick response.

FastLane

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Ok, first of all make sure you are talking about the Y-Pipe. If it is not busted now it won't "just break." Generally it is a result of lack of support when removing the Mufflers. Some folks in trying to get the mufflers on smack em with a rubber mallet. That places pressure on the Y-Pipe and messes it up.

A cracked Y-Pipe requires the replacement of the Y only not the entire system. Cost is around $170.

A cracked Y-Pipe is covered both under original warranty and extended.

Replacing the system with duals would eliminate the potential problem.

If you have no problem now, don't worry about it. If you ever remove the mufflers just be careful.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JimmyK
Cool, Thanks. I presently have V&H basic slip ons and I'm quite pleased with the sound and performance. I was very careful on install. I'm a real stickler for details and heading off problems before they arise. As for now, I'm done spending money on accessories. Just maintenance and fuel.

By the way, What does IHR stand for?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts