V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am kind of new to this forum and also new to the Harley (have had it for a few years). While starting up the bike recently I noticed some odd sound and found that the header pipe is cracked near the engine block on the right (rear).

Went to the dealership and they want to charge me $470 for the pipe and about $600 for labor. They said I should be able to do it myself if I wanted save some $$.

The question I have is can this be welded or any place to get after market or used pipes. Should I use this opportunity to change from stock to some other pipes?

Please suggest.
F6AFF93F-17A3-4A41-8AC3-CC447C311B80.jpeg
896230C5-274F-49C6-99E6-722D17314A7B.jpeg

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
it can be welded,,,, most crack up closer to the cylinder at the joint...
start saving for new exhaust,, or a replacement for that pipe..

they arent hard to change as long as the stud nuts arent seized. I use a 6 point semi deep in 1/4" drive,,,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. Took off the pipes, as suggested it took me about 45 mins (first timer). Have given to a local welding shop ($60). Hopefully he does a good job and I should be riding again in a couple days.

Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Also, when reassembling line everything up before tightening anything. Don't pull parts together with the fasteners.

Sent from my coal burning bag phone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Done with the repair. Also checked the mounts and those looked to be good.

Initially was seeing some smoke at the joints and was worried, but then realized that I had used WD40 during reassembly and it was the oil burning out.

Ran the engine for about 10 minutes and everything looked good.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

98DCF392-DCF0-4A56-A10C-305C3C60549A.jpeg

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
assemble everything loosely,,, start at the front and work your way back when tightaning...

exhaust shops will usually weld them up for $10,, or no charge for future reference..

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
assemble everything loosely,,, start at the front and work your way back when tightaning...

exhaust shops will usually weld them up for $10,, or no charge for future reference..
Wow! Terry, I don't know anybody that will do something for $10 anymore. You must have some good muffler shops around you.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Check with the custom pipe installers at events. They will have a big pile of take offs. I gave $20 for one at Sturgis.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi All,

I am kind of new to this forum and also new to the Harley (have had it for a few years). While starting up the bike recently I noticed some odd sound and found that the header pipe is cracked near the engine block on the right (rear).

Went to the dealership and they want to charge me $470 for the pipe and about $600 for labor. They said I should be able to do it myself if I wanted save some $$.

The question I have is can this be welded or any place to get after market or used pipes. Should I use this opportunity to change from stock to some other pipes?

Please suggest. View attachment 263252 View attachment 263253
41046B58-9DC3-48CC-A770-54199F9AF9CB.jpeg

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have an S&S header pipe, with SPO mufflers. I like it! You can run different mufflers, but I believe they are 2.5” not 3” on some mufflers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts