V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
professional doof
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok now this is in no way a bitch and moan thread. i mean come on these things are mechanical, and they do break due to either a flaw in manufacturing, or a rider error. so here goes.....

a couple weeks ago while detailing the mistress, i noticed a dark wet spot on the back jug. it was on the 4th cooling fin below the head. my initial thought was a little spill, i mean it did just come out of a service. so i cleaned it up thourghly, and thought that i'd put ona few miles to see if it appeared again. well after riding in the thunder to louisville poker run yesterday, i looked again after getting home last night. yep it was once again there. now let me clarify something here real quick. in the army we clasify leaks in 3 catagories, class one is basicly a wet spot that is not forming drips, class 2 is a wet spot that is forming drips but not actually dripping, class 3 is a leak that is actually dripping on the ground. well this is what we would consider a class one leak. has any one here ever seen or known any one else to have this issue?? oh yeah the bike is a '05 fxsti with 15k miles...lol. i guess my real delima is to have it fixed under warranty, or go with a stage 2 BB kit. any help or input from those on here would be awsome

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
A compression test would tell you a lot.

If you can go to stage II under warranty, I'd say its a no-brainer.

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
The cylinders are lined with steel but there is a small space between the liner and cast cylinder, its possibable the cast has perocity and oil is getting between the liner and cast cylinder. Either way its a Dealer issue and this is the time to talk about going 95''
Good Luck

·
professional doof
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok now on the 95" build, hsould i go full out stage two, or just the stock 95 with no cams?? and if i go full out what do you think SE 203's or 204's?? i'm sure that they "come in" at different places in the rpm range. i son't really spend alot of time in any certian range, so i'm thinking a good all around cam would be best. so something that would be good off the line and also have good top end. yeah i know it's like having your cake and eating it too...lol.

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
apache36 said:
ok now on the 95" build, hsould i go full out stage two, or just the stock 95 with no cams?? and if i go full out what do you think SE 203's or 204's?? i'm sure that they "come in" at different places in the rpm range. i son't really spend alot of time in any certian range, so i'm thinking a good all around cam would be best. so something that would be good off the line and also have good top end. yeah i know it's like having your cake and eating it too...lol.
Choosing a cam depends on how you ride and how much you have to spend.
Knowing these things makes it a bit easier to help you nail the cam down for your needs.

·
professional doof
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well since i don't have a tach, i have no real idea what rpm range i spend most of mu time in, but i do tend to keep it in the powerband. i like ot play alot in the corners and at the lights, but there is that occasional pull on hte highway that every one loves to do. so i'm guessing low to mid range. but i do tend to cruise at about 80 on the highway. so you'd be about as good as a judge as i am at this point. as far as $$ well it's getting to be winter soon, so i'll have time to save for the work.

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
apache36 said:
well since i don't have a tach, i have no real idea what rpm range i spend most of mu time in, but i do tend to keep it in the powerband. i like ot play alot in the corners and at the lights, but there is that occasional pull on hte highway that every one loves to do. so i'm guessing low to mid range. but i do tend to cruise at about 80 on the highway. so you'd be about as good as a judge as i am at this point. as far as $$ well it's getting to be winter soon, so i'll have time to save for the work.
Are you willing to have head work done?

H

·
0 Posts
Is it possible the oil is due to the the cylinder head breather bolt having worked loose a tad? I've seen this before, and it allows oil to leak, and could seem like the situation you describe.

Harris

·
professional doof
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
as far as having head work done i was definatly considering it. i mean it would make the whole package work better. and as afr athe cylinder head breather bolt i don't think so. it's on the left rear of the cylinder, and about 3 cooling fins down from the bottom of the head (not 4 like i stated earlier).
josh

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
apache36 said:
Dude, if your bike is close to stock and you are keeping it "in the power" You are not talking low to mid range. I have a tach and I can tell you that if you are keeping it in the power, you're talking about 3200 and up, there is simply now power lower than that with stock heads and cams in an 88". That's really one of the issues that isn't often mentioned when people ask "what build should I use". People always ask, well what rpm do you ride at? Well if I had the power, I would certainly ride about 500 rpms lower than I do but with my bike still at stage 1, riding at 2700 or even 3000 just really isn't a comfortable option.
I bet part of the reason that you cruise at 80 is not just because it feels nice and it's what you can get away with but also because it's "in the power" there in 5th gear. When you are running 65-70 you really don't feel in the power in 5th do you?
I am getting my motor built over this winter and sure hope I can get to where I can actually cruise around at 2800 or 3100 and still have something in my right hand when I give it a twist.
just my-2$en#e-

1 - 10 of 10 Posts